Fajitas are a great weeknight recipe because they’re fast and make excellent leftovers for lunch the following day. We’re using our favorite Homemade Fajita Seasoning Mix and Soft Grain-Free Tortillas.
These are not the soupy, sloppy fajitas you get from a packet sauce. Marinating the chicken overnight makes it some of the juiciest chicken you’ve ever had.
We add our peppers last-minute to keep their texture and flavor instead of the standard mushy pepper mess (gross). You must be cool with that to ride this ride. Now let’s do this.Print
Grain-Free Chicken Fajitas with Soft Grain-Free Tortillas
- 2 boneless, skinless chicken breasts, divided lobe and tip
- 3 small-medium limes
- 1 large sweet onion, sliced into 1-3 to 1/2-inch rings (keep slices intact)
- 2 large bell peppers (any color), sliced into strips
- 2 tbsp Homemade Fajita Seasoning Mix, divided
- 2 tbsp extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 tbsp avocado oil, divided
- Optional: Soft Grain-Free Tortillas (omit for Keto option)
For the Chicken
- In a large zip top bag, mix a tablespoon of Homemade Fajita Seasoning with the juice of two limes and 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil. Add 1 to 1 1/2 pounds of chicken breasts, squeeze excess air out of bag and seal. Massage to coat chicken evenly and marinate at least 2 hours (best marinated overnight – it makes a world of difference).
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F with rack at center position, line a rimmed baking sheet with foil, and place a wire rack on the pan.
- Place marinated chicken on the rack and bake until meat thermometer reads 160 degrees F (about 30 minutes).
- Remove from oven, sprinkle with a pinch of salt, tent with foil, and rest 15-20 minutes before slicing.
For the Vegetables
- Slice the remaining lime into wedges for serving and set aside.
- Heat a large sauté pan over medium heat. Once the pan is hot, add 2 teaspoons of the avocado oil and the onion slices. Cover and cook until the bottoms of the onion slices are seared and dark brown, then carefully flip the slices over, and sprinkle with a teaspoon of the Homemade Fajita Seasoning. Replace cover and reduce heat to low. Cook until onions are soft, then remove from heat (leave cover on).
- Heat a separate large sauté pan on medium-high heat. Once hot, add the remaining teaspoon of avocado oil and pepper slices. Cook just long enough to sear one side, then remove from pan, sprinkle to taste with a teaspoon of the reserved Homemade Fajita Seasoning and set aside (we like our peppers crispy and just warmed through).
Putting it Together
- Slice rested chicken and sprinkle with last remaining teaspoon of reserved Homemade Fajita Seasoning Mix. Return pan from the peppers to high heat, then add chicken, peppers, and onions to hot pan and toss to combine. We’re just warming everything up a bit.
- Squeeze a lime wedge over the pan and salt to taste, toss again, then transfer to serving bowl and serve immediately.
Keywords: Fajita, Fajitas, gluten-free, grain-free, sugar-free, keto option, paleo, low glycemic index, Tex-Mex, quick weeknight meals, easy meals