Good chocolate cake is elusive because it’s prone to drying out. Good Grain-Free Chocolate Mug Cake is the dream because it’s…well…a microwave mug cake.
After trying several overly complicated chocolate mug cake recipes with disappointing results, we turned to our other mug cake recipes for inspiration. Batch testing was a grueling and sometimes perilous process, but we pressed on in the name of science and were eventually rewarded.
Ladies and gentlemen, we have been to the mug cake mountain top, and at about 200 calories, it is good. Really good. Enjoy the fruits of our labor.Print
Grain-Free Chocolate Mug Cake
- 3 tbsp egg whites
- 2 tbsp unsweetened almond milk (plain, vanilla, or chocolate)
- 1 tbsp plus 1 tsp plain, unsweetened applesauce
- 1 tbsp Anthony’s Coconut Flour
- 1 tbsp Anthony’s Blanched Almond Flour
- 1 tbsp Dutch processed cocoa powder
- 1 tbsp Lakanto Powdered Sweetener
- 2 tsp Anthony’s Arrowroot Flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- Optional: 1 tbsp Lakanto Chocolate Chips, nut butter drizzle, dust with powdered Lakanto, top with ice cream
- Add the dry ingredients to a large microwave-safe mug and stir until fully combined.
- In a separate mug or bowl, add the egg whites, applesauce and almond milk and beat together thoroughly.
- Add the wet mixture to the dry mixture and mix until smooth, scraping the bottom and sides of the mug frequently. Once completely mixed, add the chocolate chips (if using), stir, then let sit for one minute.
- Microwave the batter, uncovered for 1 minute and 40 seconds. Once cooked, let sit for 30 seconds to one minute, then run a knife around the edge of the cake. Carefully flip to release the cake and place on a plate, right side up, and enjoy.
Dutch processed cocoa powder is the key. If you don’t have any, use regular cocoa powder plus 1/2 teaspoon instant coffee crystals or substitute a tablespoon pf the almond milk with strong, cooled coffee. This brings out the deep chocolate flavor.
Nutrition Estimate Per Serving (1 MUG CAKE WITH CHIPS) – Calories: 202, Fat: 10.4g, Saturated Fat: 4.3g, Polyunsaturated Fat: .2g, Monounsaturated Fat: .4g, Cholesterol: .1mg, Sodium: 115.8g, Potassium: 515.7g, Carbohydrates: 11g total/4.5g net, Fiber: 6.5g, Sugar: 3.2g, Protein: 9.2g, Vitamin A: .2%, Vitamin C: 0%, Calcium: 21.8%, Iron: 19.2% (based on 2,000 calorie diet).
Nutrition Estimate Per Serving (1 MUG CAKE WITHOUT CHIPS) – Calories: 152, Fat: 6.4g, Saturated Fat: 1.7g, Polyunsaturated Fat: .2g, Monounsaturated Fat: .4g, Cholesterol: .1mg, Sodium: 100.8g, Potassium: 507.9g, Carbohydrates: 11g total/7.5g net, Fiber: 3.5g, Sugar: 3.2g, Protein: 9.2g, Vitamin A: .2%, Vitamin C: 0%, Calcium: 9.8%, Iron: 19% (based on 2,000 calorie diet).
Keywords: MUG CAKE, GLUTEN-FREE, GRAIN-FREE, PALEO, OIL-FREE, SUGAR-FREE, #LAKANTOSWEETENED, CHOCOLATE MUG CAKE, MICROWAVE CAKE, CHOCOLATE CAKE