Of all the holiday cookies we made growing up, these were our favorite. We missed them, so we made Grain-Free Snowball Cookies we can enjoy them without the gluten and gobs of sugar.
These little gems are about as close to the “real” thing as you can get, right down to the powdered coating. So easy, they’ll be a staple in your holiday baking, too. If you’re adventurous, we’ve got a peppermint mocha version you’ll love.Print
Grain-Free Snowball Cookies
A reinvented classic, these grain-free snowball cookies will be a hit with everyone.
- Total Time: 35 minutes
- Yield: 25–30 cookies 1x
- 1 stick unsalted butter, softened and cut into small squares
- 1 1/2 cups blanched almond flour, lightly packed
- 1 cup finely chopped pecans
- 1/2 cup Swerve Confectioners Sweetener
- 2 tbsp coconut flour
- 1 tsp pure vanilla extract
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 3–4 tbsp Lakanto Powdered Monk Fruit Sweetener (for rolling), sifted
- Place oven racks at middle position and the one above and preheat oven to 325 degrees F. Line two rimmed baking sheets with parchment and set aside.
- In a large measuring cup, measure almond flour then add coconut flour and salt and combine. Set aside.
- In a large, deep mixing bowl, add butter, and vanilla. Use a hand mixer to cream the butter then add Swerve Confectioners Sweetener. Mix until well combined.
- Add almond flour mixture, and continue mixing on low, scraping the sides and bottom of bowl as needed. Once a thick dough forms, add pecans and mix to distribute evenly. The dough will be very thick and heavy and will barely be sweet.
- Use a small cookie scoop to divide dough into 2-teaspoon mounds, then roll into balls and place on prepared baking sheets. Bake for 15-20 minutes, or until golden brown around the bottom edges, switching racks and rotating the pans half way through. Remove from oven and allow to cool at least 10 minutes before transferring to a wire rack. Cool almost completely before rolling.
- For rolling, we chose Lakanto Powdered Monk Fruit Sweetener because it doesn’t have an aftertaste or strong cooling sensation of Swerve. Lakanto Powdered isn’t full of anti-caking agents, so it’s important to sift before rolling. We found it easiest to sift some of the sweetener into a bowl to roll the bottom and sides of the cookies, then we sifted more onto the top of the cookies to finish.
If you plan to freeze these cookies, leave them plain until ready to serve. The best way to store is in a zip top bag with the air removed. They will keep for a couple of months. Otherwise store in refrigerator in an airtight container or zipper bag for up to a week.
- Prep Time: 15
- Cook Time: 20
- Category: Cookies, Dessert
- Method: Baking
Keywords: snowball cookies, gluten-free, grain-free, holiday baking, sugar-free
One thought on “Grain-Free Snowball Cookies”