One of our favorite things to do in the kitchen is wing it, and that’s how our Greek Cucumber Slaw came about. Too lazy to make Tzatziki Sauce and thinking about cucumber salsa, we started playing with the idea of a cucumber slaw to go with our Loaded Greek Turkey Burgers. We end up with a simple yet versatile slaw that goes well with (or on) burgers, poultry, and stuffed into large grilled portobello mushroom caps. This is a two-way slaw that can be made plain (vegan and paleo-compliant) or creamy like the sauce that inspired it. Delicious and easy either way.Print
- 1 large English cucumber (11-12″)
- 2 large garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tbsp finely diced red onion
- 2 tsp lemon juice
- 1 tsp extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 tsp dried dill
- 1/8 tsp salt
- 1/8 tsp ground black pepper
- Optional: 2 tbsp plain Fage Greek 2% yogurt
- Wash and dry the cucumber, then cut in half lengthwise. Thinly slice lengthwise along one side of the cucumber, about 1/8″ thick, into long strips. Turn the cucumber onto the cut side and repeat. After the fourth cut, your cucumber will be a rectangle. Repeat this process until you reach the seed layer. Discard the seed layer. Matchstick cut the strips crosswise to create the slaw texture.
- Add cucumber matchsticks and all other ingredients (except yogurt) to a glass container and toss to combine. Refrigerate for 30 minutes to an hour to allow the cucumbers to release liquid and the flavors to come together. Immediately before serving, drain off any excess liquid (press lightly with a slotted spoon if needed). Optionally, stir in 2 tablespoons of plain Greek yogurt until well combined and serve immediately.
Nutrition Estimate Per Serving (1/2 CUP, PLAIN) – Calories: 25, Fat: 1g, Saturated Fat: .8g, Polyunsaturated Fat: .1g, Monounsaturated Fat: .8g, Cholesterol: 0mg, Sodium: 74mg, Potassium: 6mg Carbohydrates: 3.1g total/3.1g net, Fiber: 0g, Sugar: .1g, Protein: .8, Vitamin A: 1.5%, Vitamin C: 3.7%, Calcium: 1.3%, Iron: 1.3% (based on 2,000 calorie diet).
Nutrition Estimate Per Serving (1/2 CUP, CREAMY) – Calories: 35, Fat: 1.4g, Saturated Fat: 1g, Polyunsaturated Fat: .1g, Monounsaturated Fat: .8g, Cholesterol: 1.4mg, Sodium: 78.8mg, Potassium: 27.7mg Carbohydrates: 3.6g total/3.6g net, Fiber: 0g, Sugar: .6g, Protein: 2.2, Vitamin A: 1.5%, Vitamin C: 3.7%, Calcium: 18.4%, Iron: 1.3% (based on 2,000 calorie diet).
- Prep Time: 10
- Category: Sides, Salads
- Cuisine: Greek
- Diet: Gluten Free
Keywords: GREEK CUCUMBER SLAW, CUCUMBER SLAW, KETO SLAW, SIDE DISHES, VEGAN OPTION, PALEO OPTION, LOW-FAT, LOW-CALORIE, SUMMER SALADS, EASY SIDE DISHES, GRAIN-FREE, GLUTEN-FREE