Remember holiday parties with green bean casserole swimming in canned soup and canned fried onions? How about the overcooked, pale green mountain of beans covered in two inches of butter-laden breadcrumbs? Good times. No wonder everyone is on cholesterol meds.
Here’s the thing: green beans aren’t meant to be mushy and flavorless. In fact, they taste great when blanched until just tender, and topped with sliced almonds and a touch of butter or oil. Add a hint of lemon and you’re really onto something. Not surprisingly, we call this Green Beans with Almonds. Enigmatic, we know.
Try these Green Beans with Almonds for an easy weeknight side dish or a healthy twist on your holiday table. This simple recipe pairs with any main course and is gluten-free, grain-free, and vegan-friendly.Print
Green Beans with Almonds
- 1 pound cleaned and trimmed fresh green beans
- 8 cups water for blanching the beans
- 6 cups cold water plus 2 cups ice for ice bath
- 1/3 cup sliced almonds
- 1 tbsp butter or ghee, divided (use coconut oil or avocado oil, to taste, for vegan option)
- 2 tsp fresh lemon juice
- 1/4 tsp salt, divided
- To a large pot, add 8 cups water and 1/8 tsp salt. Bring to a boil over medium-high heat.
- While the water is boiling, add half of the butter or ghee to a medium skillet and heat/melt over medium-low heat. Add almonds and toast in a single layer, flip as soon as one side turns golden and remove from heat. Let sit 1-2 minutes, then add lemon juice and half of the remaining salt. Set aside until ready to serve the beans.
- Once the water is boiling, add green beans and cook at a rolling boil for 2-3 minutes, just until crisp-tender. While the beans are boiling, add 6 cups of cold water and 2 cups of ice to a large bowl. Strain the beans after 3 minutes max, and immediately place the strained beans into the ice bath. Let sit for 5 minutes.
- Return the large pot to the stove with heat on medium-low. Strain the beans after 5 minutes and return to the large pot along with remaining butter or ghee. Sprinkle with the remaining salt and toss to coat evenly and heat the beans through. As soon as the beans are warm, remove from heat, add almonds, and toss again. Transfer to a serving bowl and serve immediately.
Refrigerate leftovers in an airtight container up to 4 days.
Beans can be cleaned and trimmed the night before as long as they are refrigerated in a pot of clean water.
Keywords: GREEN BEANS, FRESH GREEN BEANS, GREEN BEANS WITH ALMONDS, SLICED ALMONDS, SIDE DISHES, HOLIDAY MEALS, HOLIDAYS, LOW-FAT, GRAIN-FREE, GLUTEN-FREE, VEGAN OPTION, LOW-CARB, KETO, HEALTHY SIDE DISHES