If you are a person of a certain age, you will easily recall the full-fat sour cream and onion dip made with packets of the saltiest, most concentrated onion-flavored powder known to mankind. To complete the salt bomb, this creamy assault on the senses was served alongside an equally well-known brand of ridged potato chips. Nostalgia be damned, we think it’s time for a better version of this…um…”classic”…which is why we’ve developed a Healthy Caramelized Onion Dip.
Caramelizing the onions adds depth and flavor without relying on a ton of salt. We use Fage 2% Greek yogurt because it is intensely creamy without the added fat and calories of sour cream. In fact, the entire 7-ounce container is only 140 calories and has a whopping 20 grams of protein. We’re talking guilt-free snacking, people.Print
Healthy Caramelized Onion Dip
A rich and creamy Healthy Caramelized Onion Dip that offers all the flavor without the salt bomb or snacker’s remorse.
- Total Time: 20 minutes
- Yield: About a cup
- 1 container Fage 2% Greek Yogurt (7 ounces)
- 1 medium yellow onion, diced
- 2 tbsp water, reserved
- 2 tsp unsalted butter, ghee, or avocado oil
- 1/8 tsp each paprika, and garlic powder
- 1/8 tsp each, plus extra pinches salt and ground black pepper
- Peel and dice one medium yellow onion and add to a sauté pan with the butter and a pinch each of salt and pepper. Cook, covered, over medium-low heat until onions are very soft, and caramelized to a rich brown color. If the pan gets dry, add water, a tablespoon at a time, and keep covered while cooking. You do not want to have any remaining liquid at the end.
- While onions are cooking, add yogurt, garlic powder, paprika, salt, and pepper to a medium bowl and stir to combine thoroughly. Cover tightly and refrigerate.
- When the onions are fully caramelized, transfer to a cutting board and mince with a knife. Allow onions to cool completely, then add to yogurt mixture and return to refrigerator for 20-30 minutes before serving.
- Stir one more time then transfer to serving dish. Serve with root vegetable chips, fresh veggies and grain-free crackers.
- Prep Time: 10
- Cook Time: 10
- Category: Appetizers, Dips, Snacks
- Method: Sauté
Keywords: CARAMELIZED ONIONS, HEALTHY DIPS, GREEK YOGURT, ONION DIP, HEALTHY SNACKS, APPETIZERS, GLUTEN-FREE, LOW-FAT, LOW-CARB, GRAIN-FREE, PARTY FOOD
2 thoughts on “Healthy Caramelized Onion Dip”