One of the highlights of dining in Chicago’s Greektown neighborhood is sharing a fresh bowl of Tzatziki Sauce with vegetables (or pita for the grain eaters). While the restaurants use full-fat Greek yogurt in their version, we’ve lightened things up a bit to make a Healthy Greek Tzatziki Sauce with Fage 2% Greek yogurt.
If you’ve seen any of the other dip recipes on our site, you know we’re big fans of this stuff. We’ve found that Fage 2% Greek yogurt is consistently thicker and less watery than other brands and has an incredibly rich and creamy texture for a reduced-fat yogurt with just enough tang at the end.
So, break out those veggie trays and pile those gyros high. Our Healthy Greek Tzatziki Sauce is so versatile it’s also great with seafood and chicken.Print
Healthy Greek Tzatziki Sauce
- 1 medium English cucumber
- 2 cloves garlic, peeled and finely minced
- 1 tsp lemon juice
- 1/4 tsp kosher salt
- 1 tsp extra virgin olive oil, plus more for drizzling
- 1 7-ounce container Fage 2% Greek Yogurt
- 1/8 tsp ground white or black pepper
- Additional pinches of salt and pepper, to taste
- Optional: 1 tsp dried dill or mint (or up to 1 tbsp fresh), plus more for garnish
- Lightly peel (leave some sections of peel behind) cucumber then coarsely grate by hand or in a food processor. Sprinkle with 1/4 teaspoon salt and let sit 5-10 minutes, then place in cheesecloth or a clean cotton kitchen towel and squeeze to drain the excess liquid. If you have one on hand, squeezing with a potato ricer removes the most liquid by far. Set drained cucumber aside.
- To a large mixing bowl, add garlic, a pinch of salt, lemon juice, white pepper, oil, and dill or mint (if using). Mix to incorporate, then add the cucumber and yogurt and continue mixing until thoroughly combined.
- Transfer to a glass bowl, cover tightly and refrigerate until ready to use, ideally 30 minutes to an hour to let the flavors incorporate.
- Stir before serving, taste and season further with salt and pepper, if needed. Garnish with a light drizzle of olive oil and dill or mint, if desired.
Refrigerate in an airtight glass container, up to 4 days, stirring before use.
Keywords: Keywords: Greek Cucumber Sauce, Tzatziki Sauce, Gyros Sauce, Gluten-Free, Grain-Free, Low-Carb, Tzatziki, Low-Fat