Interesting things happen when you can’t leave your house and have time to play in the kitchen. For instance, we learned how to make decadently rich plant-based brownies that get fudgier (that’s a word now) in the fridge overnight and taste just like hot fudge when warmed. Hence the name, Hot Fudge Brownies. We tested the validity of these results repeatedly over several days and have concluded that these are, indeed, Hot Fudge Brownies. Anything for science, right?Print
- 1 medium banana, very ripe
- 1 1/2 cups zucchini, peeled, grated, and packed
- 1 cup Lakanto Semi-Sweet Chocolate Chips (vegan and sugar-free)
- 1/2 cup smooth almond butter, no sugar or salt added (store bought or homemade)
- 1/2 cup smooth peanut butter, no sugar or salt added
- 1/2 cup Lakanto Classic Sweetener
- 2 tbsp Lakanto Powdered Sweetener**
- 2 tbsp unsweetened Dutch-processed cocoa powder (this is the key)
- 1 tbsp chia seeds, measured then ground*, plus 3 tbsp warm water
- 1 1/2 tsp pure vanilla extract
- 1 tsp baking soda
- Pinch of salt
- Set oven rack to center position and preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Line a 9×9 metal baking pan with parchment paper (bottom and sides) and set aside.
- Pulse a tablespoon of chia seeds in a spice grinder, then add to 3 tablespoons of warm water. Stir well and set aside for at least 5 minutes. *Chia seeds can also be added whole but grinding them gives the brownies a smoother texture.
- Shred the zucchini and pack to measure 1 1/2 cups, then add to a food processor (we used a Ninja pitcher). Add the vanilla to the processor as well.
- In a large measuring cup, combine the sweeteners, baking soda, and cocoa powder with a pinch of salt. Sprinkle over the zucchini in the food processor.
- Add the chia mixture, almond butter, peanut butter, and banana (break into chunks and distribute evenly) to the food processor and pulse until completely combined and mostly smooth, scraping down the sides of the bowl or pitcher every few pulses.
- Add the chocolate chips and pulse a few more times to distribute. Remove blade and stir with a rubber spatula to combine completely, then pour into prepared pan.
- Bake for 40-50 minutes, or until a toothpick comes out mostly clean (a few crumbs are fine, just not liquid). Cool in pan, then carefully remove and use a large sharp knife to score four lines each vertically and horizontally to form 16 squares. Finish cutting with a plastic knife to reduce crumbs (the brownies won’t stick to a plastic knife like they do to metal). Place the cut squares in an airtight container with parchment paper between layers, if stacking. Refrigerate overnight before serving. We know it’s hard, but remember, this is for science.
- For the hot fudge effect, microwave a brownie (that has been refrigerated overnight) for 15-20 seconds. Add 5-second increments if necessary but be careful not to burn. Top with your favorite non-dairy ice cream and behold your contribution to humankind’s scientific knowledge. Delicious, no?
Cut with a plastic knife for cleaner slices and fewer crumbs (because physics).
Refrigerate in an airtight container up to 5 days.
**Lakanto Powdered Sweetener is 2x’s sweeter than granular sugar. We used it to add sweetness without the dry bulk to keep the brownies extra moist and fudgy.
Dutch-processed cocoa powder is where it’s at. There is simply no beating its chocolaty goodness factor and it’s a difference maker for chocolate brownies and cakes.
Nutrition Estimate Per Serving (1 BROWNIE = 1/16 RECIPE) – Calories: 123.4, Fat: 9g, Saturated Fat: 1.9g, Polyunsaturated Fat: 1.3g, Monounsaturated Fat: 2.3g, Cholesterol: 0mg, Sodium: 33.8g, Potassium: 188mg, Carbohydrates: 6.6g total/3.4g net, Fiber:3.1g, Sugar: 2.4g, Protein: 4.3g, Vitamin A: 3.9%, Vitamin C: 4.9%, Calcium: 5.6%, Iron: 3.4% (based on 2,000 calorie diet).
- Prep Time: 10
- Cook Time: 45
- Category: Dessert
- Method: Baking
- Cuisine: Plant-Based, Paleo
- Diet: Vegan
Keywords: BROWNIES, GRAIN-FREE, FLOURLESS, LOW-CARB, SUGAR-FREE, VEGAN, VEGETARIAN, ZUCCHINI BROWNIES, GLUTEN-FREE, PALEO, PLANT-BASED, DAIRY-FREE, FUDGY BROWNIES, HOT FUDGE, LAKANTO CHOCOLATE CHIPS, #LAKANTOSWEETENED