- 1 2-3-pound corned beef brisket with spice packet
- 4 cups cold water
- 4 large garlic cloves, halved
- 2 medium yellow onions, one quartered and one halved
- 1 whole bay leaf
- Cut one of the onions in half from top to root, peel outer skin, and place the onions cut side down on the bottom of the instant pot. Place garlic and bay leaf in the bottom of the pot.
- Rinse the corned beef under cold tap water and trim excess fat if desired. Pat dry with paper towel, then place on top of the onion halves.
- Add 4 cold cups water, then place the onion quarters on both sides of the brisket. Empty the spice packet contents directly on top of the corned beef. Some of it will fall into the water. That’s cool.
- Seal Instant Pot and set to Manual/High for 1 hour 15 minutes (75 minutes). Allow to naturally release for 10 minutes after cooking time ends, then manually vent remaining pressure. When the pin drops, carefully remove brisket by sliding a large spatula underneath, and transfer to a platter or large plate. Tent with foil and allow to rest 10 minutes before slicing. Reserve a cup of liquid for leftovers and discard the rest of the Instant Pot contents.
- Slice the corned beef as thinly as desired (usually 1/8-1/4″) against the grain (crosswise) and serve with traditional sides like green cabbage, potatoes, and carrots.
- Prep Time: 10
- Cook Time: 85
- Category: Entrees, Holidays
- Method: Instant Pot
- Cuisine: Irish-American
Keywords: corned beef, corned beef and cabbage, brisket, Instant Pot, gluten-free, grain-free, paleo, keto, low-carb, St. Patrick's Day, Irish