We love making pinto beans in our Instant Pot and have similar no-soak recipe, but sometimes we like to take the extra step of soaking beans to make them more digestible. They’re just as delicious, nutritious, and cheap, with the added step of soaking overnight.
This recipe seasons the beans without salt and results in a surplus of liquid that can be used to store and reheat the, reduced to a thickened consistency, and make vegan refried beans. We don’t salt our beans until final preparation, so we can control the sodium content.Print
Instant Pot Pinto Beans that are pre-soaked for easier digestion.
- 1 pound dried pinto beans, soaked 12-24 hours
- 8 cups water
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 1/2 tbsp chili powder
- 1 tbsp garlic powder
- 1 tbsp onion powder
- 1 tsp Mexican oregano
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 1 tsp extra-virgin olive oil
- Salt, to taste, after cooking*
- Sort dried beans, rinse thoroughly and place in a large bowl with 6 cups of cold water. Cover and place in a cool, dry area where they can sit undisturbed up to 12 hours. If soaking longer, refrigerate after 12 hours, and soak up to a total of 24 hours. Drain, rinse, and add fresh water every 4-6 hours.
- Set up Instant Pot and add oil, spices, and water to the pot. Do not add salt at this time. Drain and rinse the soaked beans, then add to Instant Pot.
- Set to Manual/High for 15 minutes, allow to vent naturally for 15 minutes, then vent manually. When venting is complete, add salt if desired.
For storage, use a slotted spoon to add divide the beans into containers, then cover with liquid. NOTE: Canned beans yield approximately 1 1/2 cups of beans plus liquid. For similar measurements, add 1 1/2 cups beans to 2-cup containers, then top off with liquid.
Store excess liquid separately or turn the Instant Pot to sauté and reduce liquid to desired consistency before dividing between bean containers.
Cool completely and refrigerate cooled beans in their liquid, in an airtight container up to five days. Freeze in liquid in an airtight container or zip top bag with air removed up to three months. Total time does not include pressurizing/venting time.
Nutrition Estimate Per Serving (1 CUP COOKED BEANS) – Calories: 230, Fat: 1.5g, Saturated Fat: .7g, Polyunsaturated Fat: .3g, Monounsaturated Fat: .6g, Cholesterol: 0mg, Sodium: 7.7mg, Potassium: 896mg, Carbohydrates: 40.3g total/30.3g net, Fiber: 10g, Sugar: 1.3, Protein: 13.7, Vitamin A: 0%, Vitamin C: 6.7%, Calcium: 5.7%, Iron: 18% (based on 2,000 calorie diet). *Does not include added salt.
Keywords: INSTANT POT PINTO BEANS, PINTO BEANS, VEGAN, VEGETARIAN, PLANT-BASED, MEATLESS