Let’s talk about this gluten-free, lectin-free grain that packs over 20g of protein into every dry cup. It’s easy to make, never gets soggy, and takes on the flavor of whatever you cook it in. In short, it’s amazing and you need it in your life.
Whole grain sorghum takes hours to cook on the stove top, but Instant Pot Sorghum is a snap. Just use a 3:1 ratio of liquid to sorghum. Cooked sorghum can also be frozen, making it perfect for meal prep.
Quick and easy Instant Pot sorghum.
- 1 cup whole grain sorghum (we used Bob’s Red Mill, which is available at most grocery stores)
- 3 cups liquid: water for sweet recipes; water or unsalted broth/stock for savory
- Pour the sorghum into a fine mesh strainer. Sort, then rinse thoroughly under cold running water.
- Add the liquid and sorghum into the Instant Pot. Set to Manual/High for 30 minutes. Make sure “Keep Warm” is off. Allow natural release.
- Strain off any excess liquid (amount will vary depending on brand and freshness of the whole grain sorghum you use), then fluff with a fork and season to taste. Serve hot or cold, in soups and salads, or as a side dish.
Sorghum absorbs liquid, but not the same amount rice and quinoa do. However, using less than three cups of liquid when cooking whole grain sorghum in an in Instant Pot runs the risk of burn errors. There will likely be excess liquid, which must be drained off once the sorghum has finished cooking.Total time does not include pressurizing and release time.
Freeze in excess liquid up to 3 months. Can also be frozen once mixed with other ingredients in a recipe.
Nutrition Estimate Per Serving (1/4 CUP DRY, JUST OVER 3/4 CUP COOKED) – Calories: 158, Fat: 1.7g, Saturated Fat: .3g, Polyunsaturated Fat: .75g, Monounsaturated Fat: .55g, Cholesterol: 0mg, Sodium: 1mg, Potassium: 174g, Carbohydrates: 34.5g total/31.3g net, Fiber: 3.3g, Sugar: 1.2g, Protein: 5g, Vitamin A: 0%, Vitamin C: 0%, Calcium: .5%, Iron: 9% (based on 2,000 calorie diet).
Keywords: WHOLE GRAIN SORGHUM, LECTIN-FREE, GLUTEN-FREE, INSTANT POT SORGHUM, VEGAN, PLANT-BASED, VEGETARIAN, LOW GLYCEMIC, HIGH PROTEIN