Cabbage soup is often overlooked, which is a shame because it’s awesome…and budget-friendly. Our Instant Pot Vegan Cabbage Soup is easy to make and packed with flavor, nutrients, and fiber. It’s also low in calories, fat, and carbs, so everybody wins. For a non-vegan option with added protein, use beef or chicken bone broth instead of vegetable broth.Print
Instant Pot Cabbage Soup with vegan and non-vegan options.
- 1 28-ounce cans peeled and diced tomatoes with liquid (no seasoning added)
- 1 small head green cabbage, cored and chopped (about 5 cups, packed)
- 1 32-ounce container (4 cups) low sodium or unsalted vegetable broth (can use beef/chicken bone broth for non-vegan option)
- 4 large carrots, sliced into rounds and half-moons (at thickest part)
- 4 large cloves garlic, minced
- 2 large celery ribs, finely diced
- 1 large yellow onion, diced
- 1 medium sweet bell pepper, diced (red, yellow, or orange)
- 1 cup water, divided
- 1 tbsp avocado oil
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- 2 tsp apple cider vinegar
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp dried thyme
- 1 tsp parsley flakes
- 1/4 tsp dried oregano
- 1/4 tsp ground black pepper
- 1/4 tsp ground coriander
- 1/8 tsp ground cumin
- Set Instant Pot to sauté with medium heat. Once hot, add avocado oil and coat the bottom of the pot evenly. Add onions, celery, and carrots, and cook for 4-5 minutes to soften, stirring frequently. Add minced garlic and continue cooking until fragrant, about another 1-2 minutes.
- Turn Instant Pot off, add one cup of the broth, lemon juice, and vinegar, and scrape the bottom of the pot to deglaze. Add the remaining broth, pepper, tomatoes with liquid, salt, and spices.
- Use 1/2 cup of the water to rinse any remaining broth from the carton/container and add to the pot. Swish the remaining 1/2 cup of water around in the tomato can and add to the pot. Stir well to combine, then add cabbage and stir again.
- Seal the Instant Pot and set to Manual/High for 20 minutes. When cooking time is finished, allow natural pressure release for 15 minutes, then vent remaining pressure manually.
- Uncover, stir, and season with additional salt and pepper as needed.
Refrigerate in an airtight container up to 4 days.
Cool completely then freeze in an airtight container up to 6 months.
Cook time does not include pressurizing and release.
Keywords: cabbage soup, vegan soup, cabbage vegetable soup, vegetable soup, paleo, keto, gluten-free, grain-free, low-carb, low-fat, low-calorie, cabbage soup diet, apple cider vinegar, vegetarian, instant pot