If your cherry tomato plants are exploding right now, this Italian Marinated Cherry Tomatoes recipe is a quick and easy way to dress them up. The marinade liquid can also be used on tofu and poultry or as salad dressing. We made ours with fresh herbs and assorted cherry tomatoes grown in our container garden (plants from local farmers at North End City Market). The different textures (green to very ripe) and flavors, ranging from earthy to tangy citrus and super sweet, really make this dish a standout.
Looking for quick and easy ways to use your local farmers market haul? Check out our Eat Local Series for more ideas.Print
Italian Marinated Cherry Tomatoes
- 2 cups assorted cherry tomatoes
- 2–3 large basil leaves, chiffonade cut
- 3 stems fresh thyme, leaves stripped
- 1 small sprig fresh oregano (about 3″), leaves stripped and finely chopped
- 1 lemon, juiced
- 1 large garlic clove, minced
- 1/4 medium red onion
- 4 tbsp extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 tsp red wine vinegar
- 1/4 tsp ground black pepper
- 1/4 tsp salt
- Combine oil, vinegar, lemon juice, salt and pepper, garlic, and herbs to a medium bowl.
- Quarter the tomatoes from top to bottom and thinly slice a quarter of a medium red onion, then add to bowl and toss gently to coat.
- Transfer to a shallow glass dish or container large enough to spread the tomatoes out in the liquid and marinate, covered, at room temperature for 20 minutes to an hour before serving. Toss again immediately before serving.
- Serve with a slotted spoon as a side dish or drain and reserve excess liquid, then toss into 6 cups baby spinach, romaine lettuce, or greens mix of choice. Sprinkle salad with shredded or vegan parmesan and reserved liquid on the side as additional dressing. If plating as a side dish, toss to coat, then use a slotted spoon to plate, and reserve liquid to be used as a marinade for chicken breasts or tofu (use within 48 hours).
Refrigerate leftovers in a glass airtight container up to 48 hours. Bring to room temperature and toss before serving. Total time does not include marinating time.
Keywords: ITALIAN MARINATED CHERRY TOMATOES, MARINATED CHERRY TOMATOES, CHERRY TOMATOES, CHERRY TOMATO SALAD, GLUTEN-FREE, GRAIN-FREE, PALEO, KETO, LOW-CARB, SUGAR-FREE, VEGAN, VEGETARIAN, PLANT-BASED, EAT LOCAL, #EATLOCAL #815