Roasted cherry tomatoes are super sweet with a creamy texture. Add the right seasonings, and each tomato tastes like a burst of fresh marinara sauce. Our simple Italian Roasted Cherry Tomatoes and Mushrooms is a one-pan recipe that includes sweet pearl onions and cremini mushrooms, roasted garlic, and a combination of fresh and dried herbs. It makes a stunning vegan side dish, can be served over pasta or zucchini noodles as a main course, or with vegan or turkey meatballs.Print
- 2 cups cherry tomatoes
- 8 ounces baby bella (cremini) mushrooms
- 12 pearl onions (yellow, red, white)
- 4 large garlic cloves, skin on
- 6–8 inches fresh rosemary, to preference
- 8 individual stems fresh thyme
- 1/4 tsp dried basil (or four large fresh leaves)
- 1/4 tsp dried oregano
- 2 tbsp extra-virgin olive oil, divided
- 1/8 tsp ground black pepper
- 1/8 tsp salt
- Water for blanching the onions
- Add six cups water to a medium saucepan and bring to a boil over high heat.
- While the water is boiling, Line a large, rimmed baking sheet with Silpat or parchment paper (parchment will caramelize more), set oven rack to top position, and preheat oven to 425 degrees F.
- Add salt, pepper, basil, and oregano to a small bowl and set aside.
- Rinse and dry tomatoes and mushrooms. Trim mushroom stems, then halve or quarter mushrooms so they are approximately the same size as the tomatoes. Add to a large bowl.
- Add the pearl onions to the boiling water and blanch for two minutes. Strain the water and fill to saucepan with cold water to stop the cooking process. When onions are cool enough to handle, halve top to bottom, trim the top and bottom of each half, and remove thin outer skin. This should come right off. Add the halved and peeled onions to the tomatoes and mushrooms.
- Drizzle with 1 tablespoon plus two teaspoons of the oil and toss gently – try not to break the onions apart. Sprinkle with the seasoning mixture, toss again, then transfer to the prepared baking sheet. Turn onions cut side down.
- Place the four garlic cloves in the bowl from the vegetables and drizzle with the training teaspoon of olive oil. Coat all sides then place the garlic on the baking sheet, staggered across the pan.
- Snip the rosemary into one-inch pieces and add to the bowl. Break bunches of thyme apart to get six stems, each 2-3” long. Rub the rosemary and thyme around gently in the bowl to coat with leftover oil so they don’t burn while roasting.
- Lay the herbs over the vegetables on the pan, staggering to cover evenly.
- Roast for 25 minutes, then remove from oven. Discard the rosemary (and fresh basil leaves, if using) and set the thyme aside. Carefully peel the roasted garlic, discard skins, and thinly slice the cloves crosswise with a very sharp knife. Strip the thyme stems by gently pinching the top of the stem and pulling downward to remove the leaves cleanly. Discard the stems and sprinkle the leaves over the sliced garlic. Transfer the vegetables to a serving bowl or platter, top with the herbed garlic slices, and serve immediately.
Store in a glass airtight container up to four days.
Nutrition Estimate Per Serving (1/4 RECIPE) – Calories: 95.8, Fat: 6.7, Saturated Fat: .5g, Trans Fat: 0, Polyunsaturated Fat: .6g, Monounsaturated Fat: 4.6g, Cholesterol: 0mg, Sodium: 80.2mg, Potassium: 450.3mg Carbohydrates:7.3g total/6.3g net, Fiber: 1g, Sugar: 2.5g, Protein: 2g, Vitamin A: 12.5%, Vitamin C: 18%, Calcium: 10.9%, Iron: 1.2% (based on 2,000 calorie diet).
- Prep Time: 15
- Cook Time: 25
- Category: Sides, Entrees
- Method: Oven Roasting
- Cuisine: Italian
- Diet: Vegan
Keywords: ITALIAN CHERRY TOMATOES, ROASTED CHERRY TOMATOES, ITALIAN ROASTED VEGETABLES, ITALIAN ROASTED CHERRY TOMATOES AND MUSHROOMS, VEGAN, VEGETARIAN, LOWFAT, GLUTEN-FREE, GRAIN-FREE, PALEO, PLANT-BASED, SHEET PAN MEALS, SIDE DISHES