A twist on Greek chicken and rice, this Lemony Chicken and Cauliflower Rice Soup comes together quickly in the Instant Pot. Blending part of the cauliflower rice after cooking creates a creaminess that’s a bit decadent. Top it all off with spinach or kale for a nutrient powerhouse with amazing flavor.Print
Lemony Chicken and Cauliflower Rice Soup
- 2 boneless skinless chicken breasts (~8.5 ounces total), divided lobe and tip
- 4 medium carrots, peeled and sliced into thick half-moons
- 4 packed cups roughly chopped kale, stems removed
- 2 large shallots, or one medium yellow onion, finely chopped
- 1 rib celery, diced
- 1 large garlic clove, minced
- Juice and zest of one medium lemon
- 8 cups low-sodium or unsalted chicken broth or bone broth
- 2 12-ounce bags frozen cauliflower rice
- 1 tbsp extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/2 tsp ground black pepper, divided
- 1/2 tsp salt, more to taste after cooking (depending on salt in broth)
- 1/8 tsp dried oregano
- Optional: Thin lemon slices and flat leaf parsley for garnish
- Set cauliflower rice bags out on the counter to soften and strike against the countertop to break up before opening.
- Zest and juice lemon and set aside.
- Set Instant Pot to Sauté and allow it to heat fully before adding a tablespoon of olive oil. Add the shallots or onions. Stir and cook until the shallots/onions begin to break down and brown a bit. Add garlic and stir frequently until fragrant (about a minute).
- Add about a cup of broth to deglaze the pot, thoroughly scraping up any browned bits from the bottom of the pot. Add chicken, carrots, celery, cauliflower rice, remaining broth, lemon zest, a oregano, pepper, and salt (adjust depending on broth) then stir to break up any remaining frozen chunks of cauliflower rice.
- Seal and set Instant pot to Manual/High for 8 minutes. Allow natural release for 10 minutes after cook time ends, then vent manually. Once the pin drops, open the Instant Pot and transfer the chicken breasts to a large plate. Set aside.
- Stir the soup and taste for seasoning. Add salt and pepper to taste, then use a ladle to skim off some broth and cauliflower rice (avoid the carrots). You’ll want 1 to 1 1/2 cups of cauliflower rice with just enough broth to suspend it. Transfer to a large measuring cup if using an immersion blender or to a blender pitcher and puree until smooth and creamy. Return the puree to the Instant Pot and stir well. Add another ladle of broth and cauliflower rice (mostly broth) to the measuring cup or blender, pulse until smooth (this is to get any remaining puree out of the cup/pitcher) and return to the pot. The result will be a slightly creamy broth that is still light and thin.
- Set Instant Pot to Sauté again and shred the chicken with two forks. As soon as the soup begins to bubble, add the spinach or kale and lemon juice. Stir and turn the Instant Pot off. Let sit for a few minutes to slightly wilt the spinach or kale – it should be bright green. Add the chicken back to the pot, stir, and serve.
Refrigerate in an airtight container up to 4 days.
Freeze in an airtight container up to 3-4 months. Defrost completely before gently reheating.
Total cook time does not include pressurizing time.
Nutrition Estimate Per Serving (1 SERVING = 1/10 RECIPE, ~1.5C) – Calories: 119.4, Fat: 2.2g, Saturated Fat: .2g, Polyunsaturated Fat: .3g, Monounsaturated Fat: 1g, Cholesterol: 22.9mg, Sodium: 182.8g, Potassium: 469.7mg, Carbohydrates: 8.4g total/5g net, Fiber: 3.4g, Sugar: 2.6g, Protein: 15.1g, Vitamin A: 205%, Vitamin C: 37.8%, Calcium: 7.7%, Iron: 4.1% (based on 2,000 calorie diet). Nutrition calculated with ~8.5oz boneless, skinless chicken breast; unsalted chicken bone broth, medium yellow onion, and 1/2 tsp added table salt.
Keywords: GREEK CHICKEN SOUP, LEMON CHICKEN SOUP, CAULIFLOWER RICE, PALEO, KETO, GLUTEN-FREE, GRAIN-FREE, LOW-FAT, HEALTHY SOUP