Stop rolling your eyes and listen up. You can, in fact, turn cauliflower rice into a close approximation of oatmeal…and we’re going to show you how. Growing up, we were suckers for those little packets of maple brown sugar oatmeal, which in retrospect, were mostly sugar. Now, we’re making this Maple Brown Sugar Cauliflower Porridge with no refined sugar and a fraction of the carbs. And, no, it doesn’t taste like cauliflower.
We use a large nonstick sauté pan for even heat distribution and cooking, but a medium nonstick pot will also work. We’re also partial to frozen cauliflower rice for economical and storage purposes. If using fresh riced cauliflower, you may need to cook a bit longer. Finally, pure maple syrup can be used in place of Lakanto Maple Flavored Syrup, but it will affect the carb and sugars counts. Now get on this bandwagon.Print
Maple Brown Sugar Cauliflower Porridge
- 1 12-ounce bag frozen cauliflower rice, thawed or partly thawed
- 1 1/2 cups unsweetened vanilla almond milk
- 1/4 cup chopped raw walnuts, divided
- 2 tbsp Lakanto Golden Sweetener or Swerve Brown Sweetener
- 1 tbsp Lakanto Maple Flavored Syrup
- 2 tbsp golden flaxseed meal
- 1/2 tsp pure vanilla extract (more if using plain almond milk)
- 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/8 tsp ground nutmeg
- Heat a large, nonstick sauté pan over medium-high heat, then add the cauliflower rice. Stir frequently about 2 minutes to cook off excess liquid, then reduce to medium heat.
- Add 1 1/4 cups almond milk, Swerve Brown Sweetener or Lakanto Golden Sweetener, Lakanto Maple Flavored Syrup, cinnamon, and nutmeg, then stir and bring to a boil.
- Reduce to a simmer and cook for 7-8 minutes, scraping the sides of the pan and stirring as needed with a silicone spatula.
- Add the golden flaxseed meal, stir, and simmer about another 5-7 minutes, until most of the liquid has cooked off and the mixture begins to thicken.
- Add the remaining 1/4 cup almond milk, vanilla, and half of the walnuts. Stir and continue cooking until liquid is almost gone and mixture has thickened again, 3-5 minutes.
- Portion into bowls, and top with the remaining walnuts and serve immediately.
Sprinkle with a pinch of cinnamon, if desired. If you prefer a creamier consistency, add more almond milk to individual bowls when serving.
Cooking for one? Make half a batch – this goes watery in the fridge and just isn’t as good when reheated.
Nutrition Estimate Per Serving (1/2 RECIPE) – Calories: 203.8, Fat: 14g, Saturated Fat: 1g, Polyunsaturated Fat: 8.9g, Monounsaturated Fat: 2.6g, Cholesterol: 0mg, Sodium: 290.5mg, Potassium: 481.5g, Carbohydrates: 12.5g total/3.8g net, Fiber: 8.8g, Sugar: 2.5g, Protein: 6.8g, Vitamin A: 11%, Vitamin C: .5%, Calcium: 32%, Iron: 8.8% (based on 2,000 calorie diet).
Keywords: CAULIFLOWER PORRIDGE, CAULIFLOWER OATMEAL, LOW-CARB, VEGAN, PLANT-BASED, MAPLE, BROWN SUGAR, MAPLE LAKANTO, #LAKANTOSWEETENED, PALEO, VEGETARIAN, OATMEAL ALTERNATIVE, GRAIN-FREE, GLUTEN-FREE, CAULIFLOWER RICE RECIPES