We made a ginormous pot of pinto beans and figured out how to eat them all week long without getting bored. Enjoy refried beans without the added fat and calories. This version is rich and flavorful, vegan, and can be scaled up for a bigger group.
Rich and hearty vegan refried beans…without the frying.
- 2 cups No-Soak or Soaked Instant Pot Pinto Beans with liquid or 2 cups canned pinto beans, drained and rinsed plus 1/4 cup unsalted vegetable stock
- 2 tsp Miyoko’s Vegan Butter
- 1 tsp Homemade Taco Seasoning Mix
- 1 tsp lime juice
- Optional: Chopped fresh cilantro and diced red onion for garnish
- Salt, to taste
- Pour vegetable broth or reserved liquid and beans to a small non-stick pot and warm over low-medium heat until the beans are heated through.
- Strain and reserve liquid (if using bean liquid, return to the pan and reduce, if desired). Place the beans in a large bowl and mash until smooth, or pulse in a food processor. Add liquid one tablespoon at a time until desired consistency is achieved (thicker for filling and thinner for dipping).
- If using broth instead of reserved liquid from beans, increase taco seasoning, to taste.
As a dip, transfer to serving bowl, top with garnishes, and serve with Cassava Coconut Tortilla Chips or crudité vegetables. Use as a burrito filling, side dish, over cauliflower rice, etc.
Nutrition Estimate Per Serving (1/4 CUP) – Calories: 139, Fat: 2.9, Saturated Fat: 2.1g, Trans Fat: 0g, Polyunsaturated Fat: 1.3g, Monounsaturated Fat: .7g, Cholesterol: 0mg, Sodium: 91.5, Potassium: 448mg Carbohydrates:20.2g total/15.2g net, Fiber: 5g, Sugar: .7g, Protein: 6.8g, Vitamin A: 0%, Vitamin C: 3% Calcium: 2.8%, Iron: 9% (based on 2,000 calorie diet). * Sodium content includes taco seasoning but not added salt.
Keywords: REFRIED BEANS, PINTO BEAN DIP, VEGAN, PLANT-BASED, MEATLESS, VEGETARIAN, LOW-FAT