Paleo Chinese Smashed Cucumber Salad is our take on this classic Chinese dish. It’s wildly popular, and for good reason. If you’re avoiding soy, this is a solid copycat with all the spicy umami goodness of the original. Pair with the protein of your choice for a quick and healthy weeknight meal.Print
Our Paleo Chinese Smashed Cucumber Salad is soy-free and gluten-free, with all the spicy umami goodness of the original.
- 2 pounds Persian cucumbers
- 4 large garlic cloves, minced
- 3 tbsp coconut aminos
- 2 tbsp rice vinegar
- 2 tsp chile crisp*, separated from oil
- 1 tsp toasted sesame oil
- 1 tsp extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 tsp Lakanto Classic Sweetener
- 1 tsp sesame seeds for garnish
- 1/2 tsp kosher salt
- Wash and dry the cucumbers and trim the very ends. Halve lengthwise, scrape out a bit of the seeds/pulp with a spoon if desired, then place cut side down and smash with the side of a wide knife, cleaver, or even a pastry scraper if you want to play it safe. Transfer to a colander, sprinkle with salt and toss, and set aside in the sink or over a large plate. Let rest to sweat off excess liquid.
- Add garlic, vinegar, coconut aminos, sesame oil, olive oil, and Lakanto to a shaker jar. Use a clean fork to separate the chile crisp solids from the oil, then measure 2 teaspoons of the crispy bits. Add to the jar, then shake vigorously to combine.
- Gently blot the cucumber with paper towels, toss, and blot again, repeating until most of the excess surface water is removed (this also eliminates some of the salt, which is just fine). Transfer to a large bowl, add sauce mixture, and toss. Divide between four bowls and sprinkle each bowl with 1/4 teaspoon of sesame seeds. Serve immediately.
*Be sure to use a paleo-compliant chili crisp.
If making ahead of time or if you know you will have leftovers, refrigerate cucumbers separately and drain off excess liquid before using. Dress with sauce when ready to use. Refrigerate cucumbers up to two hours to make ahead or up to two days for leftovers – or make a batch of sauce and smash fresh cucumbers throughout the week. Refrigerate sauce in a glass, airtight container up to five days.
Nutrition Estimate Per Serving (1/4 RECIPE) – Calories: 87, Fat: 4.3g, Saturated Fat: 1g, Trans Fat: 0g, Polyunsaturated Fat: 0g, Monounsaturated Fat: 0g, Cholesterol: 0mg, Sodium: 321mg, Potassium: 590mg Carbohydrates: 9.1g total/6.2g net, Fiber: 2.9g, Sugar: 5g, Protein: 3g, Vitamin A: 0%, Vitamin C: 0% Calcium: 6%, Iron: .6% (based on 2,000 calorie diet).
Keywords: SMASHED CUCUMBERS, CHINESE SMASHED CUCUMBERS, VEGAN, CUCUMBER SALAD, VEGETARIAN, PALEO SMASHED CHINESE CUCUMBERS, GRAIN-FREE, CHILI CRISP OIL, PLANT-BASED, CHILE CRISP OIL, SOY-FREE, PALEO, KETO, LOW-CARB, CHOLESTEROL-FREE, PLANT-BASED, EASY SALADS, GLUTEN-FREE