Once upon a time a pumpkin pie swept a crumble cake off its feet and the rest is history. Our Paleo Pumpkin Pie Crumble Cake is dairy-free but decadently rich with bold pumpkin pie flavor and an addictive salted crumble topping. Is it a pie or a cake? Why, yes. Yes, it is.
The alchemy behind the outcome is a combination of ingredient temperatures in the prep and baking in stages with falling temperatures – much like a cheesecake. This also results in a similar texture, but without dairy. The magic continues as this cake gets even better every day in the fridge.
Palm oil shortening is a healthier, paleo-compliant alternative to coconut oil in many baked goods. In fact, it makes a far better vegan pie crust. We urge you to purchase only sustainably sourced, RSPO-Certified palm oil shortening (available in several brands and sizes online and at local whole/health food stores). Look for the RSPO seal or logo on the container. For more information, check out the Roundtable on Sustainable Palm Oil (RSPO).Print
Paleo Pumpkin Pie Crumble Cake
For the Wet Mix
- 4 large eggs, room temperature
- 1 cup pure pumpkin puree, room temperature
- 1/4 cup palm oil shortening, room temperature
- 1/4 cup Lakanto Maple Flavored Syrup, room temperature
- 1/4 cup Lakanto Classic Sweetener
For the Dry Mix
- 1 cup Anthony’s Blanched Almond Flour, packed and leveled
- 1/3 cup Anthony’s Coconut Flour, packed and leveled
- 1 tbsp Anthony’s Tapioca Flour, packed and leveled
- 1 1/2 tsp pumpkin pie spice
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp salt
For the Crumble
- 1/3 cup Anthony’s Blanched Almond Flour, packed and leveled
- 1/4 cup Anthony’s Coconut Flour, packed and leveled
- 1/4 cup finely chopped raw pecans (20 pecan halves)
- 2 tbsp Lakanto Maple Flavored Syrup, cold
- 2 tbsp coconut oil, room temperature
- 1 tbsp Lakanto Classic Sweetener
- 1 tbsp Lakanto Golden Sweetener
- 1/4 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/8 tsp pumpkin pie spice
- 1/8 tsp salt
For the Pan
- 1/2 tsp Anthony’s Coconut Flour
- 1/2 tsp coconut oil
- Position oven rack at center and preheat oven to 325 degrees F.
- Grease the sides of a round, 9-inch springform pan with 1/2 tsp coconut oil then flour the sides with 1/2 teaspoon of coconut flour. Cover the bottom of the pan with a parchment circle and place the prepared pan on a baking sheet.
For the Crumble
- Add all dry crumble ingredients except pecans to a sifter over a medium bowl and sift. Add coconut oil and use a fork to mash together and distribute the coconut oil evenly.
- Add the Lakanto Maple Flavored Syrup and pecans and continue combining, mashing against the side of the bowl, to a lumpy wet sand texture. Refrigerate crumble mixture while mixing the batter.
For the Dry Mix
- Add the flours, spices, baking soda, and salt to a sifter over a large bowl and sift together.
For the Wet Mix
- In a medium bowl, cream the shortening and Lakanto Classic Sweetener with a whisk, then beat in the pumpkin puree and Lakanto Maple Flavored Syrup.
- Thoroughly beat the four eggs in a separate bowl, then add to the wet mixture and combine.
Putting it Together
- Add the wet mixture to the dry mixture and gently whisk together, just until combined. Use a silicone spatula to scrape the sides and bottom of bowl to ensure there are no pockets of dry mixture remaining (this will be a thick, heavy batter). Transfer to the prepared pan and smooth to even thickness. Let sit 5 minutes.
- Spoon the crumble topping evenly across the top of the batter then for 40 minutes at 325 degrees F.
- Turn the oven off (do not open) and bake another 10 minutes, then open the oven door slightly (about 6 inches) and let the cake sit for another 10 minutes (total oven time is 60 minutes).
- Remove from oven and let rest on the tray for about 20 minutes before transferring the round pan to a wire cooling rack to cool completely. Once fully cooled, cover the springform pan with foil and refrigerate at least 3 hours to overnight before running a sharp knife around the outer edge of the cake, removing the outer circle, and serving.
Refrigerate, wrapped in foil, on springform base up to 5 days. We strongly recommend using the products and brands listed for consistent results and substitutions in this recipe are not advised.
Nutrition Estimate Per Serving (1 SLICE) – Calories: 200, Fat: 15.4, Saturated Fat: 4.4, Trans Fat: 0, Polyunsaturated Fat: 9.9g, Monounsaturated Fat: 2.4g, Cholesterol: 62mg, Sodium: 91.6mg, Potassium: 200mg Carbohydrates: 9.4g total/6.6g net, Fiber: 2.8g, Sugar: 1.9g, Protein:6.5g, Vitamin A: 65.5%, Vitamin C: 1.4% Calcium: 5%, Iron: 7.4% (based on 2,000 calorie diet).
Keywords: PALEO, PUMPKIN PIE CAKE, PUMPKIN CAKE, CRUMBLE CAKE, PALEO CAKE, DAIRY-FREE, GLUTEN-FREE, GRAIN-FREE, SUGAR-FREE, #LAKANTOSWEETENED, FALL DESSERTS, MAKE AHEAD DESSERTS, PALEO DESSERTS, SUGAR-FREE DESSERTS, FALL DESSERTS, HOLIDAY DESSERTS