Once upon a time a pumpkin pie swept a crumble cake off its feet and the rest is history. Our Paleo Pumpkin Pie Crumble Cake is dairy-free but decadently rich with bold pumpkin pie flavor and an addictive salted crumble topping. Is it a pie or a cake? Why, yes. Yes, it is.
The alchemy behind the outcome is a combination of ingredient temperatures in the prep and baking in stages with falling temperatures – much like a cheesecake. This also results in a similar texture, but without dairy. The magic continues as this cake gets even better every day in the fridge.
Palm oil shortening is a healthier, paleo-compliant alternative to coconut oil in many baked goods. In fact, it makes a far better vegan pie crust. We urge you to purchase only sustainably sourced, RSPO-Certified palm oil shortening (available in several brands and sizes online and at local whole/health food stores). Look for the RSPO seal or logo on the container. For more information, check out the Roundtable on Sustainable Palm Oil (RSPO).Print
For the Wet Mix
- 4 large eggs, room temperature
- 1 cup pure pumpkin puree, room temperature
- 1/4 cup palm oil shortening, room temperature
- 1/4 cup Lakanto Maple Flavored Syrup, room temperature
- 1/4 cup Lakanto Classic Sweetener
For the Dry Mix
- 1 cup Anthony’s Blanched Almond Flour, packed and leveled
- 1/3 cup Anthony’s Coconut Flour, packed and leveled
- 1 tbsp Anthony’s Tapioca Flour, packed and leveled
- 1 1/2 tsp pumpkin pie spice
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp salt
For the Crumble
- 1/3 cup Anthony’s Blanched Almond Flour, packed and leveled
- 1/4 cup Anthony’s Coconut Flour, packed and leveled
- 1/4 cup finely chopped raw pecans (20 pecan halves)
- 2 tbsp Lakanto Maple Flavored Syrup, cold
- 2 tbsp coconut oil, room temperature
- 1 tbsp Lakanto Classic Sweetener
- 1 tbsp Lakanto Golden Sweetener
- 1/4 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/8 tsp pumpkin pie spice
- 1/8 tsp salt
For the Pan
- 1/2 tsp Anthony’s Coconut Flour
- 1/2 tsp coconut oil
- Position oven rack at center and preheat oven to 325 degrees F.
- Grease the sides of a round, 9-inch springform pan with 1/2 tsp coconut oil then flour the sides with 1/2 teaspoon of coconut flour. Cover the bottom of the pan with a parchment circle and place the prepared pan on a baking sheet.
For the Crumble
- Add all dry crumble ingredients except pecans to a sifter over a medium bowl and sift. Add coconut oil and use a fork to mash together and distribute the coconut oil evenly.
- Add the Lakanto Maple Flavored Syrup and pecans and continue combining, mashing against the side of the bowl, to a lumpy wet sand texture. Refrigerate crumble mixture while mixing the batter.
For the Dry Mix
- Add the flours, spices, baking soda, and salt to a sifter over a large bowl and sift together.
For the Wet Mix
- In a medium bowl, cream the shortening and Lakanto Classic Sweetener with a whisk, then beat in the pumpkin puree and Lakanto Maple Flavored Syrup.
- Thoroughly beat the four eggs in a separate bowl, then add to the wet mixture and combine.
Putting it Together
- Add the wet mixture to the dry mixture and gently whisk together, just until combined. Use a silicone spatula to scrape the sides and bottom of bowl to ensure there are no pockets of dry mixture remaining (this will be a thick, heavy batter). Transfer to the prepared pan and smooth to even thickness. Let sit 5 minutes.
- Spoon the crumble topping evenly across the top of the batter then for 40 minutes at 325 degrees F.
- Turn the oven off (do not open) and bake another 10 minutes, then open the oven door slightly (about 6 inches) and let the cake sit for another 10 minutes (total oven time is 60 minutes).
- Remove from oven and let rest on the tray for about 20 minutes before transferring the round pan to a wire cooling rack to cool completely. Once fully cooled, cover the springform pan with foil and refrigerate at least 3 hours to overnight before running a sharp knife around the outer edge of the cake, removing the outer circle, and serving.
Refrigerate, wrapped in foil, on springform base up to 5 days. We strongly recommend using the products and brands listed for consistent results and substitutions in this recipe are not advised.
Nutrition Estimate Per Serving (1 SLICE) – Calories: 200, Fat: 15.4, Saturated Fat: 4.4, Trans Fat: 0, Polyunsaturated Fat: 9.9g, Monounsaturated Fat: 2.4g, Cholesterol: 62mg, Sodium: 91.6mg, Potassium: 200mg Carbohydrates: 9.4g total/6.6g net, Fiber: 2.8g, Sugar: 1.9g, Protein:6.5g, Vitamin A: 65.5%, Vitamin C: 1.4% Calcium: 5%, Iron: 7.4% (based on 2,000 calorie diet).
- Prep Time: 15
- Cook Time: 60
- Category: Desserts, Cakes, Pies
- Method: Baking
- Cuisine: Paleo
- Diet: Gluten Free
Keywords: PALEO, PUMPKIN PIE CAKE, PUMPKIN CAKE, CRUMBLE CAKE, PALEO CAKE, DAIRY-FREE, GLUTEN-FREE, GRAIN-FREE, SUGAR-FREE, #LAKANTOSWEETENED, FALL DESSERTS, MAKE AHEAD DESSERTS, PALEO DESSERTS, SUGAR-FREE DESSERTS, FALL DESSERTS, HOLIDAY DESSERTS