We recently overhauled cashew chicken and were so pleased with the results, we decided to try our had at sesame chicken. Once again, we are marinating and baking the chicken instead of dredging and stir-frying it in oil, and the chicken breast is so tender and juicy, it seamlessly takes the place of fattier dark meat. Our Paleo Sesame Chicken is gluten-free and grain-free, has significantly less fat and carbs than the restaurant version, no refined sugar.
Since the chicken marinates overnight, everything else is prepped while the chicken is baking, making this recipe just as fast as stir-fry on the stove but with a fraction of the oil. If you’re into meal prep, chicken breasts can be frozen with the marinade ahead of time. Omitting the dredging flour keeps each serving under 7 net carbs per serving with a full cooked cup of cauliflower rice and under 5 net carbs on its own.Print
Easy Paleo Sesame Chicken that’s low-carb and gluten-free.
For the Chicken
- 2 12-ounce bags frozen cauliflower rice
- 2 boneless, skinless chicken breasts (about 12 ounces), divided lobe and tip
- 3 large garlic cloves, minced
- 1/8 tsp ground black pepper
- 1/8 tsp ground ginger
- 1 tsp extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 tsp sesame seed oil
- 1 tsp rice vinegar
For the Sauce
- 1 whole dried Thai chile, seeds removed*
- 1 1/2 inches fresh ginger, grated
- 1/4 cup plus 1 tbsp coconut aminos
- 2 tbsp rice vinegar
- 2 tbsp water
- 1 tbsp plus 1 tsp Lakanto Golden Sweetener
- 1 tbsp Lakanto Classic Sweetener
- 2 tsp tomato paste
- 2 tsp sesame seeds, reserved
- 1 tsp toasted sesame oil
- Generous pinch ground black pepper
- 1 tsp Anthony’s Arrowroot Flour, reserved
- 1 tbsp cool water, reserved
- Optional: Sliced green onion for garnish
For the Chicken
- Place the divided chicken breasts and marinade ingredients in a zip top bag with air removed. Gently massage to coat and refrigerate at least four hours or up to overnight (for best flavor).
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F and place the chicken breasts on a wire rack on top of a large, rimmed baking sheet and discard any marinade left in the bag. Bake 25-30 minutes, until fully cooked.
- Once cooked, remove from oven, tent with foil, and let rest 5-10 minutes
For the Sauce
- While the chicken is cooking, combine all sauce ingredients, except for the sesame seeds, Anthony’s Arrowroot Flour and reserved tablespoon of water, in a small saucepan.
- Bring to a low boil over medium-low heat while stirring with a silicone spatula, regularly scraping along the bottom of the pan to prevent burning. As the liquid heats up, the heat will be released from the chile. The longer the chile remains in the liquid, the hotter the sauce will be. Dried Thai chiles are quite hot, which is why we remove the seeds before using. For mild, leave the chile in the sauce for about a minute after the boil. If you like it hot, sample the sauce every minute or two until desired heat level is reached. *If you don’t have Thai chiles available, chili garlic sauce (to heat preference) will do. Once sweeteners have dissolved, remove from heat and set aside.
- While the chicken is resting, heat the cauliflower rice according to package instructions and set aside in a covered bowl to keep warm.
Putting it Together
- Slice the chicken crosswise and tent with the foil again to keep warm.
- In a small mug, combine the reserved arrowroot and a tablespoon of water. Return the sauce to low heat and whisk constantly while adding a teaspoon of the arrowroot slurry to the pan at a time.
- As soon as the sauce thickens, remove from heat.
- Add the chicken to a serving bowl and pour the sauce over the chicken. Use a silicone spatula to gently toss the chicken in the sauce to coat evenly, then sprinkle with 1 1/2 teaspoons of the sesame seeds while tossing. Sprinkle the remaining 1/2 teaspoon of sesame seeds on top, garnish as desired, and serve immediately.
Best served freshly prepared but can be refrigerated up to 4 days in an airtight glass container.
Nutrition Estimate Per Serving (1/4 RECIPE WITH 1 CUP CAULIFLOWER RICE) – Calories: 197, Fat: 5.2g, Saturated Fat: 1.5g, Polyunsaturated Fat: 1.6g, Monounsaturated Fat: 2.2g, Cholesterol: 49.5mg, Sodium: 489.2mg, Potassium: 536.5mg Carbohydrates: 11.1g total/6.8g net, Fiber: 4.2g, Sugar: 5.5g, Protein: 22, Vitamin A: .8%, Vitamin C: .9%, Calcium: 5.4%, Iron: 4.6% (based on 2,000 calorie diet).
Nutrition Estimate Per Serving (1/4 RECIPE, NO RICE) – Calories: 157, Fat: 5.2g, Saturated Fat: 1.5g, Polyunsaturated Fat: 1.6g, Monounsaturated Fat: 2.2g, Cholesterol: 49.5mg, Sodium: 349.2mg, Potassium: 296.5mg Carbohydrates: 5.1g total/4.8g net, Fiber: .2g, Sugar: 3.5g, Protein: 20, Vitamin A: .8%, Vitamin C: .9%, Calcium: 1.4%, Iron: 3.8% (based on 2,000 calorie diet).
Keywords: SESAME CHICKEN, LOW CARB SESAME CHICKEN, LOW CARB STIR-FRY, PALEO SESAME CHICKEN, GLUTEN-FREE, GRAIN-FREE, LOW-CARB, KETO, KETO SESAME CHICKEN, DAIRY-FREE, STIR FRY, LOW FAT, WEEKNIGHT MEALS, MEAL PREP, #LAKANTOSWEETENED