Large portobello mushrooms take on new life when lightly seasoned and roasted or grilled. Yes, there really is such a thing as Portobello Mushroom Buns, and you really should be eating them. Whether you’re a gluten-free, paleo or keto eater, portobello buns are a healthy and delicious alternative to bread. Try them with your favorite burgers.Print
Portobello Mushroom Buns
- 2 large portobello mushroom caps
- 1 tsp avocado oil
- Pinches of salt and ground black pepper
- Optional: Spices/herbs of choice
- Place oven rack at top position and preheat oven to 425 degrees F. Place a nonstick wire rack on a rimmed baking sheet and set aside. Using a wire rack helps reduce moisture. If you do not have a wire baking rack, line the pan with Silpat or parchment paper.
- Gently rinse the mushroom caps, gill side down under cold running water. Pat dry immediately. Trim as much of the stem off as possible and use a spoon to gently remove the gills.
- Brush the cap side of the mushrooms lightly with oil, sprinkle with pinches of salt and pepper (or any other seasoning you prefer), and place on the rack or baking sheet, cap side down. TIP: If using seasoning mix or herbs, we’ve found it easiest to combine seasoning with the oil and then gently rub onto the caps with by hand.
- Roast for 10-15 minutes until mushroom start to become tender in the center, but not overcooked (they will also reduce in size and release moisture as they cook). Remove from oven and carefully flip so the cap side is up. This allows the moisture to drain from the mushrooms as they cool. Let rest 5 minutes before loading up with your favorite burger recipe and serving.
Nutrition Estimate Per Serving (1 BUN/2 CAPS) – Calories: 105, Fat: 6.3g, Saturated Fat: .3g, Polyunsaturated Fat: .3g, Monounsaturated Fat: 3.3g, Cholesterol: 0mg, Sodium: 175mg, Potassium: 728mg Carbohydrates: 12g total/6g net, Fiber: 6g, Sugar: 0g, Protein: 10, Vitamin A: 0%, Vitamin C: 0%, Calcium: 8%, Iron: 8% (based on 2,000 calorie diet).
Keywords: PORTOBELLO BUNS, PORTABELLA BUNS, MUSHROOM BUNS, KETO BUNS, PALEO BUNS, GLUTEN-FREE, GRAIN-FREE, LOW CARB