What can you do with a bag of fresh lettuce and a bunch of radishes from Trogg’s Hollow CSA and Market Farm? Turns out, you can do dinner for two. Keep it simple as a light vegan dish or add some crumbled cheese or shredded chicken for protein.
Check out our Eat Local Series for more local produce recipes and visit Trogg’s Hollow’s onsite farm stand or find them at the Rockford City Market every Friday evening all summer long (more info following recipe).Print
Roasted Radish Salad
For the Salad
- 1 bunch fresh radishes (about a dozen)
- 4–6 cups fresh red and green lettuce or mixed greens, rinsed and torn into bite sized pieces
- 1 tbsp extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/8 tsp dried basil
- 1/8 tsp dried oregano
- Generous pinches of salt and ground black pepper
- Optional: 2-3 ounces crumbled vegan cheese (feta or goat cheese; or shaved parmesan (non-vegan option) for garnish; quartered cherry tomatoes; chiffonade cut fresh basil for garnish
For the Dressing
- Juice and zest of 1 medium lemon
- 1/4 to 1/3 cup extra-virgin olive oil (to taste)
- 1 tbsp local honey or Swerve Brown Sweetener
- 2 tsp Dijon mustard
- 1/8 tsp salt
- 1/8 tsp ground black pepper
For the Dressing:
- Add all dressing ingredients to an airtight container or mason jar and shake well to combine.
- Start with 1/4 cup of oil and add more, if desired. Refrigerate until ready to serve and shake again immediately before using.
For the Salad
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F and place rack at top position. Line a large rimmed baking sheet with parchment paper and set aside.
- Scrub and trim radishes, then cut in half from top to bottom. If you have the greens, they’re great sautéed with garlic and butter or olive oil, or added to a salad in a chiffonade cut. They have a sharp, peppery flavor that gets milder as they cook.
- Toss the radish halves in a tablespoon of oil and sprinkle with salt, pepper, basil, and oregano. Toss again to coat evenly and place the radishes on the prepared baking sheet, cut side up. Roast for 10 minutes, then flip to cut side down and roast another 10 minutes or until tender. Let rest about 10 minutes to cool before adding to greens.
- While the radishes are roasting, rinse lettuce/greens and tear into bite sized pieces. Divide between two plates.
- Top greens with the slightly cooled radishes and optional toppings. Garnish as desired and drizzle with prepared dressing. Serve immediately.
Keywords: RADISH SALAD, RADISHES, ROASTED RADISHES, MIXED GREENS, RED LETTUCE, VEGAN OPTION, KETO, PALEO OPTION, GRAIN-FREE, GLUTEN-FREE, FARMERS MARKET, LOCAL PRODUCE, EAT LOCAL, HEALTHY EATING, SUMMER SALADS
Trogg’s Hollow CSA and Market Farm is a family-owned and run microfarm doing biointensive urban farming in Poplar Grove, Illinois. They offer shares and sell seasonal produce on location at their farm stand. In addition to year-round produce, Trogg’s Hollow features dairy goats, laying hens, turkeys, ducks, guinea fowl, and honey bees. This pesticide-free farm utilizes regenerative agriculture and crop rotation to ensure sustainable farming capabilities for years to come. Though not certified, all Trogg’s Hollow produce is grown in accordance with (or beyond) organic certification standards.
Visit their onsite farm stand at 11577 Poplar Grove Road, Poplar Grove, IL 61065 and call 872-222-5584 or check out their farm stand hours online (at the bottom of their shop page). You can also visit them at the Rockford City Market on Friday evenings.