Outside of soup, we don’t understand why anyone would want to eat boiled carrots. Our love affair with oven roasted vegetables is common knowledge – we eat them all year long – but these simple Roasted Rainbow Carrots have a special place.
Cutting lengthwise creates a gradient in thickness and texture from melt-in-your-mouth caramelized to a tender-crisp finish. Oven roasting brings out the natural flavors of the different varieties from the mild golden and sweet orange to the earthy red and peppery purple. Minimal seasoning and sweet onion complement the carrots perfectly and they are stunners on a holiday table.Print
- 2 pounds fresh carrots, peeled (if desired) and halved lengthwise
- 1/2 large sweet onion cut into four wedges
- 2 tbsp extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp ground black pepper
- 1/2 tsp dried thyme
- Place oven rack one down from top position and preheat the oven to 425 degrees F. Line a baking sheet with aluminum foil.
- Combine salt, pepper and thyme in a small bowl.
- Slice carrots in half lengthwise, and place on sheet cut side up. Brush generously with oil, sprinkle with seasoning, and flip, then brush and season other side. Brush onion wedges with remaining oil and sprinkle with additional pinches of salt, pepper, and thyme (if desired), then add to pan with carrots.
- Roast carrots cut side down until caramelized (20-30 minutes), then flip carrots and onion wedges. Roast an additional 10-15 minutes, until desired tenderness is achieved. Overall time will vary based on the size of your carrots. Taste and adjust seasoning if necessary.
- Plate and serve immediately or keep covered with foil on the hot pan until ready to serve.
Cooking for a crowd? Brush and season the morning of your event, cover with foil, and set aside at room temperature until ready to roast.
Refrigerate in an airtight container up to 4 days.
- Prep Time: 10
- Cook Time: 40
- Category: Vegetables, Side Dishes, Holidays
- Method: Oven Roasting
Keywords: ROASTED CARROTS, RAINBOW CARROTS, ORGANIC CARROTS, VEGETABLES, SIDE DISHES, HOLIDAY MEALS, HOLIDAYS, PALEO, VEGAN, LOW-FAT, LOW-CARB, GLUTEN-FREE, GRAIN-FREE, WEEKNIGHT MEALS