Oven roasting turns simple red bell peppers and cauliflower into a smoky sweet soup that is flavorful and satisfying. The cauliflower blends to a silky, texture that creates a rich creaminess without any added fat or calories. Charring the peppers under the broiler and adding a bit of smoked paprika and our homemade vegan “chicken” seasoning turns this simple soup into a restaurant quality meal that is vegan-friendly and paleo-compliant.
We know…we had you at “roasted red peppers”. What are you waiting for?Print
Rich, delicious, and silky smooth Roasted Red Pepper and Cauliflower Soup
- 4 large red bell peppers (or 5 medium)
- 4 large garlic cloves, whole with skin
- 2 shallots or one small yellow onion, diced
- 1 large head of cauliflower
- 4 cups unsalted vegetable broth, divided
- 3 tbsp extra-virgin olive oil, divided
- 1 tbsp Salt-Free Vegan Chicken Seasoning and Bullion, reserved
- 1 1/4 tsp dried basil
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp dried oregano
- 1/4 tsp ground white pepper
- 1/4 tsp sweet paprika
- 1/8 tsp smoked paprika
Roasting the Vegetables
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees F and place racks in top two positions. Line 2 large rimmed baking sheets with parchment or Silpat mats and set aside.
- Add 2 tablespoons oil to a small bowl. Quarter bell peppers from top to bottom, then deseed, devein, and remove stems. Brush both sides of peppers with oil and place on one of the baking sheets, skin side up.
- Rinse the cauliflower head and pat dry. Cut the cauliflower stems and florets from the stalk (you want to keep the stems on the florets). Cut the larger florets in half, if necessary, to keep florets uniform in size, 2-3″ wide. Brush both sides with oil and place the florets, cut side down, on the second prepared baking sheet in a single layer.
- Place cauliflower on the top rack and peppers one rack below. Place the unpeeled garlic cloves on a piece of foil and drizzle with a teaspoon of the remaining oil. Fold the foil upward to form a pouch and place the pouch onto the baking sheets with the peppers.
- Roast both sheets for 30 minutes, remove the cauliflower and garlic pouch at 30 minutes, switch the oven to low broil and move the peppers to the top rack (or under broiler, depending on oven). Broil until skin is blistered and browned (if using skins) or blackened to preference (if peeling skins). Open the garlic pouch and allow to cool.
Prepping Instant Pot
- With 10 minutes roasting time left on the vegetables, set Instant Pot to sauté and add remaining 2 teaspoons of oil and shallots/onion. Cook, stirring frequently, until the shallots/onions begin to caramelize, then turn Instant Pot off and add 1 cup of broth to deglaze the pot.
- Scrape the bottom of the pot well, then stir in salt, basil, oregano, smoked and sweet paprika, ground white pepper, and remaining broth. Use kitchen scissors to snip the very bottom of the garlic cloves open and carefully squeeze the roasted garlic into the Instant Pot.
Putting it Together
- Peel the broiled peppers (if desired – we left the skins on for more smoky flavor) and add the peppers and cauliflower to the Instant Pot. Add any liquid from the pepper pan to the Instant Pot as well.
- Seal Instant Pot and set to Manual/High for 10 minutes. Allow natural release for 10 minutes, then vent manually.
- Remove lid and use a ladle to remove 2 cups of broth. Stir in the Salt-Free Vegan Chicken Seasoning and Bullion and carefully use an immersion blender to blend the vegetables until completely smooth. Next, add liquid back in and blend again. If you don’t have an immersion blender, work in batches to run the soup through a blender until smooth.
- Serve hot garnished with fresh basil or a spoonful of coconut milk for a decadently rich flavor. In the summer, this soup can also be served cold.
Cooking time does not include pressurizing and venting time. If you like a little heat, garnish with sriracha, chili garlic sauce, or a pinch of cayenne pepper. Refrigerate in an airtight container up to 5 days. Freeze up to 6 months.
Nutrition Estimate Per Serving (1 CUP) – Calories: 100, Fat: 5.3g, Saturated Fat: .4g, Polyunsaturated Fat: .5g, Monounsaturated Fat: 3.4g, Cholesterol: 0mg, Sodium: 260mg, Potassium: 291mg, Carbohydrates: 10.5g total/7.8g net, Fiber: 2.7 Sugar: 5.5, Protein: 3.3, Vitamin A: 38%, Vitamin C: 217%, Calcium: 4.5%, Iron: 3.3% (based on 2,000 calorie diet).
Keywords: SOUP, INSTANT POT, PALEO, VEGAN, LOW-CARB, LOW-FAT, ROASTED RED PEPPERS, ROASTED CAULIFLOWER, CREAMY VEGAN SOUP, VEGETARIAN, PLANT-BASED, KETO, GLUTEN-FREE, GRAIN-FREE, DAIRY-FREE