Sure sauerkraut is great, but have you tried Savory Braised Cabbage? It’s about a gazillion times more delicious and has significantly less sodium. Yeah, that’s a real number. Ready in about 20 minutes, even better the next day, and great with regular or plant-based brats.Print
Savory Braised Cabbage
- 1 small head green cabbage, halved lengthwise and 1/8-1/4″ sliced, about 5 tightly packed cups
- 1 medium yellow onion, sliced into thin half moons
- 3 large garlic cloves, minced
- 1 cup unsalted vegetable broth
- 2 tbsp Miyoko’s vegan butter
- 1 tbsp apple cider vinegar
- 2 tsp extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 tsp caraway seeds
- 1/2 tsp salt, divided
- 1/4 tsp celery seeds
- 1/4 tsp coriander seeds
- 1/4 tsp ground white pepper
- 1/8 tsp yellow mustard seeds
- Add all spices and half of the salt to a small bowl and combine. Measure broth, add vinegar, and set aside. Prep all vegetables.
- Heat oil in a large sauté pan over medium heat, add the onion, and cook just until translucent (2-3 minutes). Add garlic and cook one minute, stirring regularly. Add the cabbage and toss to combine.
- Sprinkle the cabbage with the spice mixture then pour broth mixture over the top. Cover and set a timer for 5 minutes. Stir after 5 minutes, flipping the top layer of cabbage to the bottom of the pan to ensure even cooking. Cover and set a timer for 5 minutes again.
- When the timer goes off, reduce heat to low, add the vegan butter, and toss to combine.
- Continue cooking uncovered 3-5 minutes, until desired tenderness is achieved, and excess liquid has reduced to a sauce and is almost gone. Season with the reserved salt to taste and serve immediately.
Refrigerate in a glass airtight container up to four days.
Nutrition Estimate Per Serving (1/4 RECIPE) – Calories: 122, Fat: 6.2, Saturated Fat: 4.8g, Polyunsaturated Fat: .1g, Monounsaturated Fat: .8g, Cholesterol: 0mg, Sodium: 437mg, Potassium: 450mg, Carbohydrates: 15g total/11.2g net, Fiber: 3.8 Sugar: 7.3, Protein: 3g, Vitamin A: 8%, Vitamin C: 120%, Calcium: 13%, Iron: 1.8% (based on 2,000 calorie diet). Using unsalted vegetable broth.
Keywords: BRAISED CABBAGE, DAIRY-FREE, CARAWAY SEEDS, VEGAN, GREEN CABBAGE, PLANT-BASED, CORIANDER, VEGETARIAN, LOW-CARB, GLUTEN-FREE, HEALTHY SIDES, GRAIN-FREE, SIDE DISHES, MEATLESS