If you’re a fan of simple and ridiculously delicious, Shirazi Salad is for you. Our take on this Iranian classic is pretty straightforward but you can bump the herbs up and down, add some green bell pepper or garlic, or get a little saltier (we are salty enough, thankyouverymuch).
Whichever way you choose to make it, the magical element is a fine dice on the ingredients. We deseeded the tomatoes and slightly cored the cucumbers to reduce liquid and maximize crunch. While the recipe traditionally calls for Roma tomatoes, give this a try with heirloom tomatoes when they are in season. Wowza!Print
For the Salad
- 6 Persian cucumbers (or 1 large English cucumber)
- 4 Roma tomatoes
- 1/4 cup finely diced red onion
- 1/4 firmly packed cup flat leaf parsley leaves
- 1/4 tsp salt
For the Dressing
- 3 tbsp fresh lemon juice
- 2 tbsp extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 tsp very finely chopped fresh mint
- 2 tsp finely chopped fresh cilantro or 1/2 tsp dried cilantro
- 1/4 tsp ground black pepper
- Uniformly and finely dice the cucumber and tomatoes, deseeding if desired, and place in a large bowl. Sprinkle with the salt only, toss, and set aside. This will sweat the cucumbers and tomatoes, releasing excess liquid.
- Dice and measure the red onion, then mince the parsley and set aside.
- Prep all dressing ingredients, add to a small measuring cup or mug, and whisk together.
- Drain any excess liquid from the cucumber mixture, add the onion and parsley, and toss to combine.
- Pour the dressing over the cucumber mixture, toss and serve immediately or refrigerate 20-30 minutes and toss again before serving.
The cucumbers and tomatoes will continue releasing liquid when stored. Drain off excess liquid before serving leftovers. Best the same day but can be refrigerated in a glass airtight container up to 2 days.
Nutrition Estimate Per Serving (1/4 RECIPE) – Calories: 95, Fat: 6.6g, Saturated Fat: .5, Polyunsaturated Fat: .6g, Monounsaturated Fat: 4.5g, Cholesterol: 0mg, Sodium: 153mg, Potassium: 191mg, Carbohydrates: 7.3g total/6.4g net, Fiber: .9g, Sugar: 2g, Protein: 1.9g, Vitamin A: 19%, Vitamin C: 28%, Calcium: 3%, Iron: 3% (based on 2,000 calorie diet).
- Prep Time: 15
- Category: Salads, Sides
- Cuisine: Iranian, Plant-Based
- Diet: Vegan
Keywords: SHIRAZI SALAD, IRANIAN SALAD, CUCUMBER TOMATO SALAD, VEGETARIAN, GRAIN-FREE, PLANT-BASED, GLUTEN-FREE, PALEO, KETO, MEATLESS, SUMMER SALAD, LOW-CARB, VEGAN, LOW-FAT