Chana Masala is a ridiculously good Indian curry of chickpeas, tomatoes, onions, and masala spices that will make your life infinitely better. Thank you for coming to our TED talk. Is our Shortcut Chana Masala “authentic”? Nope. Is it delicious and on the table in half an hour? Absolutely.Print
Shortcut Chana Masala
Shortcut Chana Masala is a 30-minute masterpiece.
- Total Time: 30 minutes
- Yield: Serves 6
- 2 cans unsalted or low-sodium chickpeas, drained and rinsed (or 3 cups prepared chickpeas)
- 2 14.5-oz can diced tomatoes, with liquid
- 5 large garlic cloves, minced
- 4 whole dried Kashmiri chiles*
- 1 medium red onion, diced
- 1 1-inch piece fresh ginger, minced
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 tbsp avocado oil
- 4 tsp curry powder
- 1 tsp cumin seeds
- 3/4 tsp ground coriander
- 1/2 tsp mustard seeds (yellow, black, or combination; or 1/4 tsp mustard powder)
- 1/2 tsp salt, divided
- 1/4 tsp ground fenugreek
- 1/2 tsp garam masala, reserved
- 1/4 tsp cayenne pepper
- 1/8 tsp ground black pepper
- Optional: Cilantro for serving
- In a small bowl, combine curry powder, coriander, fenugreek, ground black pepper, cayenne, and 1/4 teaspoon of salt. Set aside.
- In a large pot or sauté pan, heat oil over medium heat. Once hot, add cumin and mustard seeds, cook until sputtering, then add onion. Cook until soft, 5-7 minutes, then add ginger and garlic. Stir and cook for 30 seconds, then add the spice mixture and one can of tomatoes and stir.
- Puree the second can of tomatoes in a blender or food processor and add to the pot. Use the water to swish out the blender and add to the pot.
- Add the chickpeas to the pot. Stir, cover, and simmer for 15 minutes (stirring once half way through, reduce heat of necessary).
- After 15 minutes, remove the Kashmiri peppers and discard, then carefully transfer about a cup of the mixture to a blender or food processor. Pulse until smooth, then return to the pot. Add garam masala and simmer uncovered for another 5 minutes. Taste and add remaining 1/4 teaspoon of salt, to preference. Serve alone, with cauliflower rice, gluten-free roti, etc., garnished with fresh cilantro.
* No Kashmiri chiles? No problem. We love the flavor they add but you can skip them or use 1/2 teaspoon of paprika instead.
Nutrition Estimate Per Serving (1/6 RECIPE) – Calories: 192, Fat: 4.2g, Saturated Fat: .4g, Trans Fat: 0g, Polyunsaturated Fat: 1.1g, Monounsaturated Fat: 2.1g, Cholesterol: 0mg, Sodium: 412mg, Potassium: 267mg Carbohydrates: 30.4g total/25.2g net, Fiber: 5.2g, Sugar: 8.8g, Protein: 9.3g, Vitamin A: 12%, Vitamin C: 32.5% Calcium: 6%, Iron: 13% (based on 2,000 calorie diet). Calculated using prepared, unsalted chickpeas.
- Prep Time: 10
- Cook Time: 20
- Category: Entrée, Main Course
- Method: Stove Top
- Cuisine: Indian, Plant-Based
- Diet: Vegan
Keywords: CHANA MASALA, CHICKPEA CURRY, VEGAN, PLANT-BASED, GLUTEN-FREE, GRAIN-FREE, VEGETARIAN, SOY-FREE, WEEKNIGHT MEALS, QUICK MEALS, INDIAN, CURRY, CHICKPEAS, PLANT PROTEIN, CHOLESTEROL-FREE, LOW-FAT