- 2 cans unsalted or low-sodium chickpeas, drained and rinsed (or 3 cups prepared chickpeas)
- 2 14.5-oz can diced tomatoes, with liquid
- 5 large garlic cloves, minced
- 4 whole dried Kashmiri chiles*
- 1 medium red onion, diced
- 1 1-inch piece fresh ginger, minced
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 tbsp avocado oil
- 4 tsp curry powder
- 1 tsp cumin seeds
- 3/4 tsp ground coriander
- 1/2 tsp mustard seeds (yellow, black, or combination; or 1/4 tsp mustard powder)
- 1/2 tsp salt, divided
- 1/4 tsp ground fenugreek
- 1/2 tsp garam masala, reserved
- 1/4 tsp cayenne pepper
- 1/8 tsp ground black pepper
- Optional: Cilantro for serving
- In a small bowl, combine curry powder, coriander, fenugreek, ground black pepper, cayenne, and 1/4 teaspoon of salt. Set aside.
- In a large pot or sauté pan, heat oil over medium heat. Once hot, add cumin and mustard seeds, cook until sputtering, then add onion. Cook until soft, 5-7 minutes, then add ginger and garlic. Stir and cook for 30 seconds, then add the spice mixture and one can of tomatoes and stir.
- Puree the second can of tomatoes in a blender or food processor and add to the pot. Use the water to swish out the blender and add to the pot.
- Add the chickpeas to the pot. Stir, cover, and simmer for 15 minutes (stirring once half way through, reduce heat of necessary).
- After 15 minutes, remove the Kashmiri peppers and discard, then carefully transfer about a cup of the mixture to a blender or food processor. Pulse until smooth, then return to the pot. Add garam masala and simmer uncovered for another 5 minutes. Taste and add remaining 1/4 teaspoon of salt, to preference. Serve alone, with cauliflower rice, gluten-free roti, etc., garnished with fresh cilantro.
* No Kashmiri chiles? No problem. We love the flavor they add but you can skip them or use 1/2 teaspoon of paprika instead.
Nutrition Estimate Per Serving (1/6 RECIPE) – Calories: 192, Fat: 4.2g, Saturated Fat: .4g, Trans Fat: 0g, Polyunsaturated Fat: 1.1g, Monounsaturated Fat: 2.1g, Cholesterol: 0mg, Sodium: 412mg, Potassium: 267mg Carbohydrates: 30.4g total/25.2g net, Fiber: 5.2g, Sugar: 8.8g, Protein: 9.3g, Vitamin A: 12%, Vitamin C: 32.5% Calcium: 6%, Iron: 13% (based on 2,000 calorie diet). Calculated using prepared, unsalted chickpeas.
- Prep Time: 10
- Cook Time: 20
- Category: Entrée, Main Course
- Method: Stove Top
- Cuisine: Indian, Plant-Based
- Diet: Vegan
Keywords: CHANA MASALA, CHICKPEA CURRY, VEGAN, PLANT-BASED, GLUTEN-FREE, GRAIN-FREE, VEGETARIAN, SOY-FREE, WEEKNIGHT MEALS, QUICK MEALS, INDIAN, CURRY, CHICKPEAS, PLANT PROTEIN, CHOLESTEROL-FREE, LOW-FAT