Our family has a Schrute-level love of beets. Red or golden, roasted and dressed or Cajun style, and even raw. We used fresh beets from Yaeger’s Farm Market in DeKalb, IL (more info following recipe) to make this simple Shredded Beet Salad that is delicious as-is and versatile enough to serve as the base for three distinct salads. Check out the rest of our Eat Local Series for more local produce inspiration.Print
For the Salad
- 1 1/2 pounds fresh red beets (weight without greens), peeled and shredded
- 1 large shallot, peeled and minced
- 6 packed cups mixed baby greens (spinach, kale, arugula, chard)
- Generous pinches of salt and ground black pepper
For the Dressing
- 3 tbsp red wine vinegar
- 2 tbsp extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 tbsp apple cider vinegar
- 1 tbsp Dijon mustard
- Small pinch of salt, generous pinch of ground black pepper
For the Toppings
- Carrot and coconut with ginger
- Apple and walnut
- Orange and goat cheese/vegan goat cheese
- Scrub and peel the beets (wear fitted disposable gloves to avoid staining hands). Use a box grater or mandolin to shred the beets. You may want to do this over a plate in the sink because beet juice stains the heck out of everything. Place shredded beets in a large glass bowl.
- Peel and mince the shallot and add to the beets. Stir to combine.
- In a small measuring cup, combine all dressing ingredients. If making the carrot/coconut variation, finely grate a one-inch piece of fresh ginger and add to the dressing (use more or less, to taste). Drizzle half of the dressing over the beets, toss to coat evenly and refrigerate while prepping the rest of the ingredients. Reserve remaining dressing for serving.
- Plate the greens and prep toppings like shredded apples, diced oranges, walnuts, goat cheese/vegan goat cheese, shredded carrots, and/or unsweetened coconut flakes. Immediately place shredded apples in a solution of 2 teaspoons salt in 4 cups cold water. Use a small plate to keep the apples submerged if necessary. Soak 10 minutes then rinse under cold water. The salt rinses away and the apples won’t brown.
- Divide the beets between the plates and top as desired. Serve immediately with reserved dressing on the side.
Keep beets separate until ready to serve.
Store separately, in an airtight glass container, up to 4 days once dressed.
- Prep Time: 20
- Category: Salads, Eat Local, Vegan
Keywords: VEGAN, BEETS, BEET SALAD, VEGETARIAN, SUMMER SALADS, HEALTHY RECIPES, PLANT BASED, GLUTEN-FREE, GRAIN-FREE, EAT LOCAL, MEATLESS MEALS, SALAD, MIXED GREENS, VINAIGRETTE
Located in DeKalb, IL, Yaeger’s Farm Market has been a family-owned farm for more than 50 years. They grow plants and 20 acres of seasonal fruits and vegetables, including their famous sweet corn. More recently, they installed over 100 solar modules which provide the majority of the power for the farm and reduce its carbon footprint significantly.