We refuse to accept the idea that grain-free breads have to be super eggy, heavy as a brick, or rival the density of a neutron star. So, here’s a grain-free, gluten-free bread that’s light enough for sandwiches, excellent for toasting, and a dream for grilled cheese. Top it with just about anything.
- 2 cups blanched almond flour
- 1/2 cup plain unsweetened almond milk
- 1/4 cup plus 2 tbsp arrowroot flour
- 1/4 cup golden flaxseed meal (optional: run through a spice grinder for lighter texture)
- 1/4 cup (4 tbsp) ghee, melted then slightly cooled, plus extra to grease pan
- 4 large eggs, well beaten
- 2 tbsp tapioca flour
- 1/2 tbsp apple cider vinegar
- 1/2 tbsp sesame seeds (optional)
- 3/4 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- Place oven rack in middle position and preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Do not bake in an unheated oven. Your bread will not rise or bake properly. Patience is a virtue.
- Use extra ghee to generously grease a full-sized (9×5”) glass loaf pan, then line with parchment paper and set aside. Note: This recipe is untested in a metal pan.
- In a large bowl, add the blanched almond flour, arrowroot flour, tapioca flour, baking soda and powder, salt, and flaxseed meal (if you have a spice grinder, optionally give the flaxseed meal a quick spin before adding). Whisk the dry ingredients together to combine.
- In a separate bowl or large measuring cup, add and whisk the eggs, then add ghee, almond milk, and vinegar. Stir to combine, then add to dry mixture.
- Gently whisk all ingredients together just until combined, scraping the sides and bottom of bowl as needed. Don’t overdo it. There’s chemistry going on here.
- Pour the batter into the prepared loaf pan and bake in the center of the middle rack for 45 to 55 minutes.
Remove and let stand in the loaf pan for 5 minutes, then transfer to a wire cooking rack.
- Cool completely before slicing. Why? Because the center is still cooking, and if you cut it now you will be sorry. We’re just looking out for you.
- Store in refrigerator in a zip top bag with air removed, or wrapped tightly in plastic, up to 5 days. Disclaimer: This bread is delicious. It’s not going to be around for 5 days.
Store in refrigerator in a zip top bag with air removed, or wrapped tightly in plastic, up to 5 days.
- Prep Time: 15
- Cook Time: 45
- Category: Bread
- Method: Baking
Keywords: SOFT PALEO BREAD, SOFT BREAD, PALEO BREAD, GRAIN-FREE, GLUTEN-FREE, PALEO, HOMEMADE BREAD, SANDWICH BREAD, TOASTING BREAD