These Soft Grain-Free Tortillas are light, fluffy and Paleo-compliant. They work in place of flour or corn tortillas or as wraps since they don’t become hard or brittle like cassava flour tortillas can. These are fantastic with our Fish Tacos, especially when using the creamy avocado and cilantro dressing from our Grain-Free Southwest Salad.
Right from the mixing bowl to the skillet, these are the easiest grain-free tortillas you’ll ever make.Print
- Add all dry ingredients to a large bowl and whisk to combine thoroughly.
- In a large measuring cup, add almond milk, egg, and 1/2 cup plus 2 tablespoons water, then beat until completely combined.
- Heat a cast iron skillet over medium heat – it is critical that the pan is hot.
- Add liquid mixture to dry mixture and whisk vigorously to combine. Consistency will be like a thin pancake batter. If it thickens as it site between batches, add reserved water, one spoonful at a time, as needed.
- Brush the hot pan with avocado oil and add about 1/4 cup of batter, quickly swirling to distribute the batter to form an 8-inch circle. The trick is to get these uniformly thin.
- Cook 2-3 minutes or until bottom is browned to preference, taking care not to burn. Time will vary depending on type of pan (cast iron is quicker than ceramic). Flip and cook other side until done. Set aside on a wire rack to cool (this prevents them from getting soggy).
- Repeat with remaining batter. Makes about 4-6 tortillas, depending on thickness and size.
Serve immediately. These can be stacked with parchment and frozen or refrigerated but get a little tough when cold. Warm leftovers in pan or toaster oven to soften for best results. They will turn rubbery if microwaved.
Note the reserved water. You may need to add more liquid, one tablespoon at a time, depending on the flour brand you are using. All flours we used in this recipe are from Anthony’s Goods, and we used the entire 3/4 cup water. However, when working with other brands, we’ve used slightly less. We pack and level all flour measurements.
- Prep Time: 10
- Cook Time: 20
- Category: Bread, Tortillas, Wraps
- Method: Stove top
- Serving Size: 1 tortilla/wrap
Keywords: easy grain-free tortillas, gluten-free tortillas, soft Paleo tortillas, wraps, paleo flatbread, grain-free flatbread