Sweet strawberries and aromatic fresh basil combine to make a refreshing summer drink in our Strawberry Basil Crush mocktail. We use seltzer water for a refreshing fizz without the salt or sugar found in other carbonated waters.Print
Strawberry Basil Smash
- 4 ripe strawberries
- 1–2 large basil leaves (to preference)
- 1 cup plain seltzer water
- 1 tsp homemade simple syrup*
- 1 tsp lemon juice
- Ice cubes to fill a large glass
- Fill a large cocktail glass with ice.
- Muddle 3 strawberries, basil, lemon juice, and simple syrup in a shaker.
- Add 1/4 cup seltzer and shake gently for 10 seconds, then let sit for a minute or two. Shake again and strain over the ice in the prepared glass, pressing through a fine mesh strainer.
- Top off with remaining seltzer. Cut an “X” into the bottom of the remaining strawberry and slice onto the rim of the glass for garnish or remove stem, slice and add to the glass.
*To make homemade simple syrup, bring 1 cup water and 1 cup Lakanto Classic Sweetener to a low boil, stirring until completely dissolved. Cool, transfer to a mason jar, and store in refrigerator for up to 3 weeks. Some separation will occur. Shake before using and strain if necessary.
Keywords: MOCKTAIL, MOCKTAILS, NON-ALCOHOLIC DRINKS, SUMMER DRINKS, COOLERS, REFRESHING DRINKS, COCKTAILS, COLD BEVERAGES, SUGAR-FREE, PALEO, STRAWBERRIES, BASIL, LEMON