Whether you’re a fan of a good Memphis Style Dry Rub or sticky, tangy, Sugar-Free Barbecue Sauce, we’ve got you covered.
The trouble with barbecue is the sugar load in commercial rubs and sauces, but we can easily address that with low-GI sweeteners. What we can’t duplicate is the chemistry that enables cane sugar to caramelize so beautifully into a thick crust on broiled or grilled meat. However, we can get close, and we can absolutely get all the amazing flavor.Print
Tangy Sugar-Free Barbecue Sauce that’s Keto compliant.
- 1/2 cup sugar-free ketchup
- 2–3 tbsp Swerve Brown Sweetener, packed (to taste)
- 3 tbsp apple cider vinegar
- 1 tbsp water
- 1 tsp paprika
- 1/2 tsp smoked paprika
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp soy-free Worcestershire sauce
- 1/4 tsp ground cumin
- 1/4 tsp ground black pepper
- 1/8 tsp ground rosemary
- Pinches of garlic and onion powder
- Combine all ingredients in a small sauce pan and heat over low heat, starting with 2 tablespoons of Swerve Brown Sweetener.
- Continue simmering over low heat until Swerve is dissolved and sauce begins to thicken.
- If you like a strong vinegar component, do not add more sweetener. If you prefer a sweeter sauce, add more Swerve one packed teaspoon at a time.
Don’t skip the rosemary or smoked paprika. Both cut down the tomato flavor of the sauce and create richness. You won’t actually taste the rosemary.
Keywords: barbecue sauce, bbq sauce, sugar-free, gluten-free, grain-free, keto, low-carb