Some people think that beets are gross or dumb or boring. FALSE.
Thanks to Dwight Schrute, everyone knows beets are delicious, nutrient-packed powerhouses that add awesomeness to a variety of dishes. To prove this point, we’ve mixed red and golden beets with an amazing orange dressing on a bed of crisp baby spinach to make this amazing Sunrise Salad with Roasted Beets. It’s like a sunrise on a plate, people.Print
For the Salad
- 2 medium beets (one red, one golden), roasted
- 2 cups baby spinach, packed
- 1/4 cup walnuts, halved or roughly chopped
- Non-vegan option: 4 ounces cooked and shredded chicken breast
- Optional vegan and non-vegan garnishes: Crumbled goat cheese and/or red onion, very thinly sliced into half moons, to taste
For the Dressing
- Juice and zest from one large navel orange or two mandarin oranges
- 1 1/2 tsp extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 1/2 tsp Swerve Brown Sweetener
- 1 1/2 tsp balsamic vinegar
- 1 tsp Dijon mustard
- Pinch each of salt and ground black pepper, plus additional pepper, to taste
For the Beets
- Place the oven rack in the middle position and preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Line a rimmed baking sheet with foil and set aside.
- Wash the beets, wrap individually in foil, and place on the prepared pan. Roast for about 1 hour, flipping half way through. Remove one beet and cut in half to check for tenderness. If still hard in the center, place the halves back together, wrap tightly and return to oven. Continue roasting another 15-20 minutes, or until tender.
- Once beets are fully roasted, remove from oven and cool. Once cool, peel the beets, rinse, and cut into bite-sized cubes. Keep red and golden separate.
For the Dressing
- While the beets are roasting, add orange juice and zest, Swerve Brown Sweetener, balsamic vinegar, Dijon mustard, and EVOO to a blender pitcher or bullet blender cup. Pulse until smooth and season with pinches of salt and ground black pepper.
- Pulse again and refrigerate until ready to serve. Taste again before serving to see if any more salt or pepper are needed and adjust to your liking.
Putting it Together
- Just before serving, add the beets and half of the dressing to a large bowl and toss to coat. Plate the greens of your choice and add the beet mixture on top.
- Add walnuts and shredded chicken or goat cheese, if using.
- Season with freshly ground black pepper and garnish with orange zest and red onions, if desired. Serve with remaining dressing on the side.
To use for more than one meal, keep all components separate until ready to serve and build your own salad.
If dressing isn’t your thing, serve with orange and lemon wedges, or try a sprinkle of our homemade Cajun seasoning on the beets for a savory flavor with a bit of heat. Plain coconut, almond, or Green yogurt complements the Cajun seasoning well.
Left separate, the beets and dressing will keep in the fridge for 3-4 days. Once mixed, about 2.
- Prep Time: 15
- Cook Time: 60
- Category: Salads
- Method: Oven roasting
Keywords: roasted beets, baby spinach, vegan option, orange dressing, walnuts, chicken option, lectin-free, grain-free, gluten-free