Here in the Midwest, we dress for four seasons in a single day and refer to dishes that contain mayo-slathered vegetables as “salads”. Don’t question our reasons. We explain ourselves to no one. If you’ve ever been to a Midwestern gathering, you’ve seen the fat and sugar bomb version of this [ahem] salad, in all its uniquely delicious, sweet/salty/tangy glory. Our Vegan Broccoli Slaw Salad is a healthier version of this classic, equally delicious and entirely plant-based.Print
Vegan Broccoli Slaw Salad
- 3 cups broccoli slaw
- 1 cup plain, unsweetened coconut yogurt, drained*
- 1/2 cup unsweetened or homemade dried cranberries
- 1/2 cup whole roasted almonds (unsalted), measured then chopped
- 2 tbsp apple cider vinegar
- 3 tbsp Lakanto Classic Sweetener
- 1/2 tsp salt, divided
- 1/8 tsp ground black pepper
- Start with a fresh container of plain, unsweetened coconut yogurt that has been sitting overnight undisturbed (we used the So Delicious brand since it’s available just about everywhere). If you can find Greek style coconut yogurt, even better – it’s thicker. Carefully drain off any excess liquid that has separated, then add one cup from the thick yogurt left behind to a large measuring cup.
- Add vinegar, Lakanto sweetener, ground black pepper, and half of the salt to the yogurt and stir until completely combined. The vinegar will eliminate the coconut flavor from the yogurt. Reserve the remaining 1/4 tsp salt until ready to serve.
- Add the broccoli slaw, cranberries, and almonds to a large bowl and toss, Add the yogurt mixture and toss with a silicone spatula to coat evenly. Refrigerate at least 30 minutes before serving. Toss, again and season with reserved 1/4 teaspoon of salt, to taste, before serving.
Refrigerate in a glass, airtight container up to 2 days, drain off excess liquid and toss before serving. Total time does not include chilling.
Nutrition Estimate Per Serving (1/8 RECIPE) – Calories: 73, Fat: 4.8g, Saturated Fat: 1.3g, Polyunsaturated Fat: 0g, Monounsaturated Fat: 0g, Cholesterol: 0mg, Sodium: 159mg, Potassium: 144mg, Carbohydrates: 6.8g total/4.1g net, Fiber: 2.7g, Sugar: 1g, Protein: 2.3g, Vitamin A: 21%, Vitamin C: 39.8%, Calcium: 8.3%, Iron: 3% (based on 2,000 calorie diet). Includes total 1/2 tsp salt.
Keywords: BROCCOLI SLAW SALAD, VEGAN, DAIRY-FREE, PLANT-BASED, VEGETARIAN, PALEO, LOW-CARB, HEALTHY SIDE DISHES, GLUTEN-FREE, GRAIN-FREE, SIDES, PARTY FOOD, POTLUCK FOOD, SALADS, SUGAR-FREE, CRANBERRIES, ALMONDS