We don’t care if it’s not cool, we love egg salad. Especially when it’s cholesterol-free Vegan Chickpea Egg Salad. It’s ready in minutes and tastes just like the real thing thanks to kala namak.
Kala namak is a variety of Indian salt that has a sulfurous, pungent smell like hardboiled eggs, and it imparts an authentic egg flavor in vegan “egg” dishes. It is the cornerstone of this recipe and there is no substitute, so go get some. It is often sold as a gourmet item by online retailers, but that’s BS. You can readily find a whole bag of kala namak for just a couple bucks at a local Indian grocer or in the Indian foods section at your nearest international grocer. And you can use it in chickpea flour scrambled eggs and chickpea flour frittatas, too.Print
Vegan Chickpea Egg Salad
Yes, it tastes just like the real thing.
- Total Time: 10 minutes
- Yield: Serves 4
- 1 1/2 cups prepared chickpeas (or canned unsalted or low-sodium)
- 1/4 cup vegan mayo
- 3 green onions, whites and tender greens finely diced
- 2 tsp finely chopped dill pickle or dill relish plus 1/2 tsp brine
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp onion powder
- 1/4 tsp paprika
- 1/4 tsp ground turmeric
- 1/4 tsp yellow mustard powder
- 1/8 tsp ground black pepper
- 1/8 tsp kala namak (Indian salt)*
- Pinch of celery seed (about 1/16 tsp)
- Add drained chickpeas to a large bowl and roughly mash with a fork to preferred texture. Combine kala namak and all seasonings in a small bowl, then then sprinkle over the chickpeas and stir to distribute evenly.
- Add mayo, onions, pickle, and brine and gently stir until fully incorporated. Serve immediately in lettuce cups, on sandwiches, in a salad, on a spoon…whatever works.
- *Kala namak is a must-have ingredient. It’s what makes the dish taste like eggs.
- Refrigerate in a glass airtight container up to four days and stir before using (turmeric will permanently stain plastic).
- Nutrition Estimate Per Serving (1/4 RECIPE) – Calories: 197, Fat: 12g, Saturated Fat: 1g, Polyunsaturated Fat: 8.2g, Monounsaturated Fat: 2.7g, Cholesterol: 0mg, Sodium: 117mg, Potassium: 211g, Carbohydrates: 16.7g total/13.4g net, Fiber: 3.3g, Sugar: 2.9g, Protein: 5.4g, Vitamin A: 2.6%, Vitamin C: 5.2%, Calcium: 1.8%, Iron: 7% (based on 2,000 calorie diet, calculated with unsalted prepared chickpeas and homemade vegan mayo).
- Prep Time: 10
- Category: Entrée, Main Course
- Cuisine: Plant-Based
- Diet: Vegan
Keywords: VEGAN EGG SALAD, CHICKPEA EGG SALAD, EGG SALAD SUBSTITUTE, PLANT-BASED, CHOLESTEROL-FREE, MAKE AHEAD, VEGAN, PLANT PROTEIN, VEGETARIAN, EASY LUNCHES, EGGLESS, EGG SALAD SANDWICH, KALA NAMAK, VEGAN MAYO, GLUTEN-FREE, GRAIN-FREE, MEATLESS, EGG-FREE