The hardest part of making this Vegan Chocolate Peppermint Candy is waiting for it to set up in the molds.
The recipe yields about 1 1/2 cups of filling mixture, so plan accordingly with your candy molds. Most silicone mold shapes hold 2-3 teaspoons of liquid (excluding bar shapes), and we’re going for thin layers of chocolate on top and bottom with a thick layer of filling in the middle.Print
Vegan Chocolate Peppermint Candy
- Before beginning, clear enough refrigerator space to accommodate a baking sheet large enough to hold your candy molds. Place the molds onto the sheet and set aside.
- Add the shredded coconut, Lakanto sweetener, coconut oil, and pinch of salt (if using) to a large food processor bowl and run on high for 5 minutes, scraping down the sides of the bowl as needed.
- Add 3/4 teaspoon of peppermint extract and continue processing the mixture on medium for another 10 minutes, until it liquefies (like making coconut butter). Be sure to stop periodically to scrape down the sides of the processor bowl. After 10 minutes, taste and add another 1/4 teaspoon of peppermint extract, if desired. Pulse to combine, remove blade, and stir with a rubber spatula.
- While the coconut is processing, gently melt half of the Lakanto chocolate in a double boiler, stirring frequently until smooth. This helps to temper the chocolate, so it comes out of the molds with a glossy shine. Distribute the melted chocolate between the mold wells, creating a thin base layer. Cover the bottom of the mold wells completely and tap the molds on the counter top to release any bubbles.
- Spoon the finished filling mixture into the molds on top of the chocolate layer, leaving just enough space for another thin chocolate layer. Tap the molds again to release any bubbles and refrigerate 10-15 minutes, until filling layer is firm (time will vary depending on size of your molds).
- With a few minutes of chilling time left, add the remaining chocolate chips to the double boiler and melt. Remove molds from refrigerator, top with a final chocolate layer and smooth off any excess chocolate with an offset spatula.
- Refrigerate at least one hour before removing the candies from the molds. Wait longer if using molds with large wells or candy bar shapes. These are stable at room temperature but the coconut layer melts easily.
* Lakanto Powdered Sweetener is a 2:1 sweetener. Do not substitute.
Refrigerate in an airtight container up to four weeks. Serve cold or at room temperature.
Total time does not include chilling time. Yield varies by mold size.
Keywords: VEGAN, PALEO, LOW-CARB, SUGAR-FREE, GLUTEN-FREE, GRAIN-FREE, CANDY, VEGAN CHOCOLATE, #LAKANTOSWEETENED, HOLIDAYS, TREATS, PEPPERMINT PATTIES, PEPPERMINT PATTY