Healthy plant-based Chorizo made with Beyond is the star of our Vegan Chorizo Street Tacos. This quick and versatile chorizo recipe can be served with cauliflower rice, used in salads and bowls – you name it. We’re using street sized tortillas to make these little wonders, piled high with veggies and our Vegan Creamy Avocado Cilantro Dip, which doubles as a sauce. Great in lettuce cups, too.
Make it your own, and mix ahead of time. The trick to great flavor is resting overnight before cooking. Don’t worry, carnivores, we have a healthy version for you, too.Print
For the Chorizo
- 1 pound Beyond Meat Beyond Beef Plant-Based Ground
- 1 tbsp apple cider vinegar
- 1 tbsp red wine vinegar
- 2 tsp smoked paprika
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp chili powder (this is the standard chili powder blend)
- 1 tsp ancho chile pepper powder (this is ground ancho chiles) for mild, 2 tsp for hot
- 1/2 tsp Mexican oregano
- 1/2 tsp ground cumin
- 1/4 tsp salt*
- 1/4 tsp ground black pepper
- 1/4 tsp ground coriander
- 1/8 tsp cayenne pepper for mild, 1/4 tsp for hot
- 1 tsp avocado oil (for cooking)
For Taco Options
- Street taco tortillas (store bought tortillas or vegan grain-free or cassava-coconut recipe pressed into half-size rounds and cooked)
- Spring mix, chiffonade cut or shredded romaine lettuce
- Finely shredded red cabbage
- Cherry tomatoes, quartered lengthwise
- Fresh sweet corn, lightly charred and sliced off the cob
- Thinly sliced red onion, chopped cilantro, lime wedges, thinly sliced avocado, or Vegan Creamy Avocado Cilantro Dip
Preparing the Chorizo
- Combine all spices in a small bowl and set aside.
- Place Beyond in a large bowl, add vinegar, and sprinkle with the spice mixture. Mix thoroughly with a silicone spatula until spices are incorporated fully, then wrap tightly in plastic, and refrigerate at least 4 hours (best refrigerated overnight). Make it hot or mild but mix it ahead of time. The resting time is key to flavor.
Cooking the Chorizo
- Heat a large nonstick sauté pan over medium-high heat, add oil to coat the bottom of the pan, then add the chorizo mixture. Working quickly, press the mixture into an even, thin layer with the back of a spatula. Let cook one minute.
- Flip and cook for one minute, then break up into chunks and continue cooking, stirring as needed for 2-3 minutes until fully cooked and excess liquid has evaporated. Remove from heat and serve immediately with taco options of your choice or in bowls or salads.
*We use significantly less salt than traditional chorizo, and ground meat replacements like LightLife, Impossible, Beyond, etc., can be a bit salty on their own. Start with 1/4 teaspoon of salt and season to taste once cooked.
Nutrition information will vary depending on tortillas and toppings.
Refrigerate leftover chorizo in a glass airtight container up to 4 days. Reheat gently with a spoonful of water to avoid drying.
Nutrition Estimate Per Serving (1/6 RECIPE, CHORIZO ONLY) – Calories: 179.6, Fat: 12.7g, Saturated Fat: 3.4g, Polyunsaturated Fat: .1g, Monounsaturated Fat: .6g, Cholesterol: 0mg, Sodium: 330mg, Potassium: 187g, Carbohydrates: 3.3g total/2g net, Fiber: 1.3g, Sugar: .0g, Protein: 13.3g, Vitamin A: 0%, Vitamin C: 0%, Calcium: 5.3%, Iron: 13.3% (based on 2,000 calorie diet).
- Prep Time: 10
- Cook Time: 10
- Category: Entrée, Main Course
- Method: Stove Top
- Cuisine: Plant-Based
- Diet: Vegan
Keywords: VEGAN CHORIZO, VEGETARIAN, BEYOND CHORIZO, SOY-FREE, PLANT-BASED CHORIZO, BEYOND MEAT, PLANT-BASED, REDUCED SODIUM, VEGAN, GLUTEN-FREE