For the Chorizo
- 1 pound Beyond Meat Beyond Beef Plant-Based Ground
- 1 tbsp apple cider vinegar
- 1 tbsp red wine vinegar
- 2 tsp smoked paprika
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp chili powder (this is the standard chili powder blend)
- 1 tsp ancho chile pepper powder (this is ground ancho chiles) for mild, 2 tsp for hot
- 1/2 tsp Mexican oregano
- 1/2 tsp ground cumin
- 1/4 tsp salt*
- 1/4 tsp ground black pepper
- 1/4 tsp ground coriander
- 1/8 tsp cayenne pepper for mild, 1/4 tsp for hot
- 1 tsp avocado oil (for cooking)
For Taco Options
- Street taco tortillas (store bought tortillas or vegan grain-free or cassava-coconut recipe pressed into half-size rounds and cooked)
- Spring mix, chiffonade cut or shredded romaine lettuce
- Finely shredded red cabbage
- Cherry tomatoes, quartered lengthwise
- Fresh sweet corn, lightly charred and sliced off the cob
- Thinly sliced red onion, chopped cilantro, lime wedges, thinly sliced avocado, or Vegan Creamy Avocado Cilantro Dip
Preparing the Chorizo
- Combine all spices in a small bowl and set aside.
- Place Beyond in a large bowl, add vinegar, and sprinkle with the spice mixture. Mix thoroughly with a silicone spatula until spices are incorporated fully, then wrap tightly in plastic, and refrigerate at least 4 hours (best refrigerated overnight). Make it hot or mild but mix it ahead of time. The resting time is key to flavor.
Cooking the Chorizo
- Heat a large nonstick sauté pan over medium-high heat, add oil to coat the bottom of the pan, then add the chorizo mixture. Working quickly, press the mixture into an even, thin layer with the back of a spatula. Let cook one minute.
- Flip and cook for one minute, then break up into chunks and continue cooking, stirring as needed for 2-3 minutes until fully cooked and excess liquid has evaporated. Remove from heat and serve immediately with taco options of your choice or in bowls or salads.
*We use significantly less salt than traditional chorizo, and ground meat replacements like LightLife, Impossible, Beyond, etc., can be a bit salty on their own. Start with 1/4 teaspoon of salt and season to taste once cooked.
Nutrition information will vary depending on tortillas and toppings.
Refrigerate leftover chorizo in a glass airtight container up to 4 days. Reheat gently with a spoonful of water to avoid drying.
Nutrition Estimate Per Serving (1/6 RECIPE, CHORIZO ONLY) – Calories: 179.6, Fat: 12.7g, Saturated Fat: 3.4g, Polyunsaturated Fat: .1g, Monounsaturated Fat: .6g, Cholesterol: 0mg, Sodium: 330mg, Potassium: 187g, Carbohydrates: 3.3g total/2g net, Fiber: 1.3g, Sugar: .0g, Protein: 13.3g, Vitamin A: 0%, Vitamin C: 0%, Calcium: 5.3%, Iron: 13.3% (based on 2,000 calorie diet).
- Prep Time: 10
- Cook Time: 10
- Category: Entrée, Main Course
- Method: Stove Top
- Cuisine: Plant-Based
- Diet: Vegan
Keywords: VEGAN CHORIZO, VEGETARIAN, BEYOND CHORIZO, SOY-FREE, PLANT-BASED CHORIZO, BEYOND MEAT, PLANT-BASED, REDUCED SODIUM, VEGAN, GLUTEN-FREE