If you’re a fan of traditional tzatziki, you’ll love our Vegan Greek Tzatziki Sauce. This plant-based version has all the tangy, creamy flavor you love without the dairy and cholesterol. Try it with our Vegan Gyros Meatballs. Not ready to take the meatless plunge? We have a healthy Turkey Gyros Meatball recipe, too.Print
Vegan Greek Tzatziki Sauce
Going plant-based? Try our rich and creamy Vegan Greek Tzatziki Sauce for a healthy option with all the flavor you love.
- Total Time: 15 minutes
- Yield: Serves 4
- 1 cup plain, unsweetened coconut yogurt
- 3/4 packed cup cored and shredded cucumber
- 1 tsp lemon juice
- 1/2 tsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1/4 tsp garlic powder
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/8 tsp ground white pepper
- 1/8 tsp ground apple cider vinegar
- 1/16 tsp xanthan gum (optional)
- Optional: Fresh mint or dill for garnish
- Halve a large English cucumber crosswise, then halve lengthwise. Use a spoon to gently scrape out the seeds. Shred with a box grater, then measure. Transfer 3/4 packed cup to a fine mesh strainer cheesecloth, or potato ricer and press to remove as much liquid as possible. Sprinkle with half the salt and let sit while preparing the remaining ingredients.
- In a medium bowl, combine the coconut yogurt, oil, garlic powder, vinegar, lemon juice, pepper, and remaining salt. If making ahead of time (up to a day) we recommend adding xanthan gum to stabilize and maintain texture. If using within a few hours of making, you can skip it.
- Press the cucumber one last time then combine with the yogurt mixture, cover, and refrigerate until ready to serve (minimally 30 minutes). The coconut flavor from the yogurt will dissipate as the garlic and vinegar release. Serve as a sauce or dip. Can be made a up to a day in advance.
Refrigerate leftovers in a glass airtight container up to four days. The cucumbers will continue to give off liquid. Spoon off and discard excess liquid and stir immediately before serving.
Nutrition Estimate Per Serving (1/4 RECIPE) – Calories: 45, Fat: 2g, Saturated Fat: 1.7g, Polyunsaturated Fat: 0g, Monounsaturated Fat: 0g, Cholesterol: 0mg, Sodium: 159mg, Potassium: 12.3mg, Carbohydrates: 6g total/5.3g net, Fiber: .7g, Sugar: .6g, Protein: 1g, Vitamin A: 1.5%, Vitamin C: 3.5%, Calcium: 11.3%, Iron: 1.3% (based on 2,000 calorie diet).
- Prep Time: 15
- Category: Dips, Sauces
- Cuisine: Greek, Plant-Based, Paleo
- Diet: Vegan
Keywords: GREEK CUCUMBER SAUCE, TZATZIKI SAUCE, VEGAN TZATZIKI SAUCE, VEGAN CUCUMBER SAUCE, VEGAN GYROS SAUCE, GLUTEN-FREE, GRAIN-FREE, DAITY-FREE, VEGAN, VEGETARIAN, PLANT-BASED, LOW-FAT, PALEO