All the egg roll flavor, none of the egg roll fat. Our Vegan Soy-Free Egg Roll in a Bowl is a hearty and satisfying plant-based alternative to takeout. On the table in 30 minutes, it’s faster, healthier, and more economical, too. We like this plant-based version even better than the original.Print
Vegan Soy-Free Egg Roll in a Bowl
- 1 lb Beyond Meat Beyond Beef Plant-Based Ground
- 1 small head red cabbage, shredded (5 firmly packed cups)
- 1 bunch (6) green onions, thinly sliced and divided
- 4 large garlic cloves, minced
- 1 large sweet onion, diced
- 1 cup matchstick cut carrots
- 1/2 cup low-sodium or unsalted vegetable broth
- 6 tbsp coconut aminos
- 1 tbsp sesame oil
- 1 tbsp rice wine vinegar
- 1 tsp fresh grated ginger
- 1 tsp avocado oil
- 1/2 tsp chili garlic sauce
- 1/8 tsp ground black pepper
- Optional: Top with toasted sesame seeds
- In a large measuring cup, mix coconut aminos, vegetable broth, chili garlic sauce, grated ginger, and rice wine vinegar. Whisk with a fork to combine and set aside.
- Heat a medium sauté pan over medium heat and add the sesame oil and the diced onion. Cook over medium heat, stirring as needed, until onion starts to caramelize (5-7 minutes). Add the garlic and 2 tablespoons of the sauce mixture. Stir frequently and cook until garlic is just fragrant, 30 seconds to a minute. Remove from heat.
- While the onion is cooking, heat a large nonstick sauté pan over medium-high heat. Once pan is hot, add avocado oil and Beyond and smash down into a thin even layer. Cook 1 minute, then flip and cook another minute, undisturbed. Break up into small pieces, add 6 tablespoons of the sauce mixture, stir frequently and continue to cook another 2 minutes. Reduce to medium-low heat, sprinkle with ground pepper, and cook 2-3 more minutes to reduce any remaining liquid. Transfer to the pan with the onions and garlic and stir to combine.
- Return the large sauté pan to medium heat, add the remaining sauce and heat until bubbling. Add the carrots and cabbage, toss to cover in sauce, and then create an even layer. Cover and let cook for 3 minutes, then toss, remove from heat, and add the green onions. Let sit, covered, another 2-3 minutes if you prefer softer vegetables. You want to wilt the cabbage a bit but still have a nice crunch, especially if you plan to reheat later as leftovers.
- If serving all at once, add the Beyond mixture to the wilted cabbage and serve immediately. If you know you will have leftovers, keep the Beyond mixture separate from the cabbage mixture until serving. Garnish with sesame seeds, if desired.
Even better the next day. Refrigerate separately in airtight glass containers up to 3 days.
Nutrition Estimate Per Serving (1/6 RECIPE) – Calories: 281, Fat: 15.1g, Saturated Fat: 3.7g, Polyunsaturated Fat: 1g, Monounsaturated Fat: 1.5g, Cholesterol: 0mg, Sodium: 575mg, Potassium: 758.8g, Carbohydrates: 21.6g total/15.8g net, Fiber: 5.8g, Sugar: 11.5g, Protein: 16.2g, Vitamin A: 30.3%, Vitamin C: 81.4%, Calcium: 11.3%, Iron: 19.8% (based on 2,000 calorie diet).
Keywords: EGG ROLL BOWL, VEGAN, GLUTEN-FREE, PLANT-BASED, SOY-FREE, VEGETARIAN, WEEKNIGHT MEALS, SOY-FREE, MEATLESS, BEYOND MEAT