We’re not sure where this two-ingredient dip originated, it’s just always been around in our family. Growing up, it was made with sour cream and brown sugar, but after successfully leaning it down with Greek yogurt and Swerve Brown Sweetener, we set out to make a dairy-free version for our vegan friends.
We use So Delicious unsweetened coconut yogurt because it’s packed with vitamin B12, a critical nutrient an entirely plant-based diet lacks (if you’re thinking of going plant-based, this is something you will need to monitor with your doctor – no joke). Coconut yogurt tends to separate and is quite a bit thinner than sour cream or Greek yogurt, so we use just a touch of xanthan gum* to stabilize the dip and maintain a rich and creamy consistency.Print
- 1 cup unsweetened, plain coconut yogurt (we used So Delicious brand)
- 2 tbsp Swerve Brown Sweetener, packed
- 1 pound fresh strawberries (or other fresh fruit)
- 1/4 tsp xanthan gum
- Prepare fruit of choice and set aside. Thoroughly stir the coconut yogurt until smooth and creamy, then add one cup of yogurt and the Swerve to a medium mixing bowl.
- Stir with a rubber spatula just a few times until combined, don’t worry about any chunks of Swerve. Let sit 5 minutes for the Swerve to melt.
- Sprinkle the xanthan gum over the top of the yogurt mixture, then use a hand mixer on low to medium speed to thoroughly combine, about 30 seconds. The mixture will appear slightly thickened and will not separate during serving. While you can combine by hand, using a mixer ensures there are no lumps of xanthan gum.
- Transfer to a small bowl and serve with fruit of choice. Can be made up to a day in advance.
Refrigerate in an airtight glass container up to 4 days. Separation will be minimal due to the xanthan gum, stir before using if necessary.
*Xanthan gum is available online but most large grocery chains carry it in either the baking aisle or gluten-free section. Any local health food store should have it. We used Bob’s Red Mill brand for this recipe.
Nutrition Estimate Per Serving (1/4 RECIPE: DIP & STRAWBERRIES) – Calories:70, Fat: 2.5g, Saturated Fat: 1.7g, Polyunsaturated Fat: 0g, Monounsaturated Fat: 0g, Cholesterol: 0mg, Sodium: 13mg, Potassium: 173.5mg, Carbohydrates: 11.9g total/8.9g net, Fiber: 3g, Sugar: 5.8g, Protein: 1g, Vitamin A: 0%, Vitamin C: 111%, Calcium: 11.8%, Iron: 2.8% (based on 2,000 calorie diet).
Nutrition Estimate Per Serving (1/4 RECIPE: DIP ONLY) – Calories:30.6, Fat: 2g, Saturated Fat: 1.7g, Polyunsaturated Fat: 0g, Monounsaturated Fat: 0g, Cholesterol: 0mg, Sodium: 11.7mg, Potassium: 0mg, Carbohydrates: 3.1g total/2.4g net, Fiber: .7g, Sugar: .3g, Protein: .3g, Vitamin A: 0%, Vitamin C: 0%, Calcium: 10%, Iron: 0% (based on 2,000 calorie diet).
- Prep Time: 10
- Category: Desserts, Fruit Dip
- Cuisine: Plant-Based, Paleo
- Diet: Vegan
Keywords: FRUIT DIP, VEGAN FRUIT DIP, STRAWBERRY DIP, VEGETARIAN, BROWN SUGAR DIP, SUGAR-FREE, VEGAN, DESSERTS, DAIRY-FREE, PLANT-BASED, LOW-FAT, PALEO, GRAIN-FREE, GLUTEN-FREE