Transitioning to plant-based can feel overwhelming and limiting, especially when it comes to quick weeknight meals. This Vegan Taco Salad is a great solution for family taco night or meal prep if you’re cooking single. Our homemade seasoning lets you control the salt and the Beyond filling cooks much faster than ground beef or poultry.
Enjoy as a satisfying low-carb salad or dress it up with guacamole and tortillas (Cassava and Coconut Flour Tortillas are our go-to and make great Tortilla Chips). We’ve included rough nutrition estimates for several options, each of which is packed with plant protein that will keep you going.Print
Our Vegan Taco Salad is a great plant-based and gluten-free option for family taco night or as meal prep if you’re cooking single.
For the Filling
- 1 pound ground Beyond Beef Plant-Based Ground
- 1 medium yellow onion, diced
- 1 c warm water, divided, plus 1 tbsp cool water
- 2 tsp extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 tsp chili powder
- 1 tsp Anthony’s Arrowroot Flour, reserved
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 1/2 tsp ground black pepper
- 1/2 tsp onion powder
- 1/2 tsp Mexican oregano
- 1/2 tsp paprika
- 1/4 tsp garlic powder
- 1/4 tsp salt
For the Toppings
- 12 cherry tomatoes, quartered
- 2 green onions, very finely sliced
- 1 red bell pepper thinly sliced lengthwise
- 3 romaine lettuce hearts, shredded
- 1 cup shredded red cabbage
- 1/2 cup Daiya Shreds (cheddar, mozzarella, or mixed style)
- Cilantro and lime wedges for serving
For the Options
- 1 batch Cassava Coconut Tortillas or Cassava Coconut Tortilla Chips
- Store bought tortillas or taco shells, prepared to package instructions
- 1 batch Simple Guacamole
- If using, prepare a batch of Cassava Coconut Tortillas or Chips (or use store bought) and a batch of Simple Guacamole. Prep all vegetables and toss red cabbage and lettuce together.
- Combine chili powder, ground cumin, ground black pepper, onion powder, oregano, paprika, garlic powder, and salt in a mixing cup and set aside. Add the arrowroot flour to a mug and set aside.
- Heat a large sauté pan over medium heat and add oil and diced onions and sauté until translucent and starting to brown. Increase to medium/high, add Beyond and use a spatula to flatten into a single even layer. Cook for one minute, then flip and cook the other side for one minute. Break into small pieces, stir, and cook one more minute undisturbed, then stir and reduce to medium-low heat.
- Add 1/2 cup warm water to the spice mixture and stir well to combine. Add a tablespoon of cool water to the arrowroot and stir vigorously to create a smooth slurry. Add to the spice mixture, stir well, then add to the pan.
- Stir well to distribute the seasoning evenly (the sauce will thicken quickly). Add remaining water, two tablespoons at a time, stirring frequently. Continue cooking until most of the liquid has cooked off and thickened to desired consistency, 2-3 minutes. Remove from heat and transfer to a serving dish. Serve buffet style, divide between six large plates, or place ingredients in individual glass containers with lids to assemble quick lunches all week long.
Refrigerate leftover ingredients separately in glass airtight containers up to four days. The Beyond is even better the next day. Reheat gently over medium-low heat with a splash of water.
Nutrition Estimate Per Serving (1/6 RECIPE, NO GUACAMOLE, NO TORTILLA) – Calories: 250, Fat: 15.1, Saturated Fat: 5.3g, Trans Fat: 0g, Polyunsaturated Fat: .1g, Monounsaturated Fat: 1g, Cholesterol: 0mg, Sodium: 424mg, Potassium: 334mg Carbohydrates: 13.5g total/10g net, Fiber: 3.5g, Sugar: 3.4g, Protein: 14.7g, Vitamin A: 13.7%, Vitamin C: 80% Calcium: 15%, Iron: 18.5% (based on 2,000 calorie diet).
Nutrition Estimate Per Serving (1/6 RECIPE WITH 1 TORTILLA, NO GUACAMOLE) – Calories: 375, Fat: 19.9, Saturated Fat: 5.9g, Trans Fat: 0g, Polyunsaturated Fat: .5g, Monounsaturated Fat: 4.1g, Cholesterol: 0mg, Sodium: 480mg, Potassium: 393mg Carbohydrates: 32.3g total/27.4g net, Fiber: 4.8g, Sugar: 3.7g, Protein: 15g, Vitamin A: 13.7%, Vitamin C: 80% Calcium: 16.4%, Iron: 21% (based on 2,000 calorie diet).
Nutrition Estimate Per Serving (1/6 RECIPE WITH GUACAMOLE, NO TORTILLA) – Calories: 290, Fat: 18.6, Saturated Fat: 5.8g, Trans Fat: 0g, Polyunsaturated Fat: .5g, Monounsaturated Fat: 3.2g, Cholesterol: 0mg, Sodium: 450mg, Potassium: 460mg Carbohydrates: 16.2g total/11.1g net, Fiber: 5.1g, Sugar: 3.7g, Protein: 15.2g, Vitamin A: 14.4%, Vitamin C: 85.6% Calcium: 15.4%, Iron: 19% (based on 2,000 calorie diet).
Nutrition Estimate Per Serving (1/6 RECIPE WITH 1 TORTILLA & GUACAMOLE) – Calories: 415, Fat: 23.4, Saturated Fat: 6.4g, Trans Fat: 0g, Polyunsaturated Fat: .9g, Monounsaturated Fat: 6.3g, Cholesterol: 0mg, Sodium: 506mg, Potassium: 518mg Carbohydrates: 35g total/28.6g net, Fiber: 6.4g, Sugar: 4g, Protein: 15.7g, Vitamin A: 14.4%, Vitamin C: 85.6% Calcium: 16.8%, Iron: 22% (based on 2,000 calorie diet).
Keywords: TACO, TACOS, TACO SALAD, VEGAN TACOS, BEYOND, VEGAN TACO SALAD, GLUTEN-FREE, VEGETARIAN, DAIYA, DAIRY-FREE, PLANT-BASED, GRAIN-FREE, LOW-FAT, CHOLESTEROL-FREE, MEATLESS, #BEYONDMEAT