Pecan Crusted Goat Cheese Salad
For the Salad
- 1 medium granny smith or gala apple, shredded or spiralized
- 1 large carrot, shredded
- 3 cups spring mix or baby spinach
- 1 cup finely shredded red cabbage
For the Goat Cheese
- 2 ounces goat cheese, cut into 4 round slices 1/4-1/2″ thick
- 1 large egg, divided
- 1/3 cup very finely chopped or pulsed pecans
- 1 tbsp avocado oil
- 1 tsp cool water
- 1 tsp coconut flour
- Generous pinch each salt, paprika, and ground black pepper
- Combine pecans, coconut flour, salt, paprika, and pepper in a bowl.
- To another bowl, add egg white and water, and beat to combine.
- Dip each slice of goat cheese into the egg mixture, coating all sides, then dip into the pecan mixture to coat thoroughly. Transfer pecan coated slices to a plate and freeze for 15 minutes or refrigerate 30-60 minutes.
- While the cheese is chilling, prep all fruit and vegetables, plate the greens, and top with shredded apples and vegetables. To keep the apples from browning, drizzle with lemon juice or transfer to a solution of salt water (1/2 teaspoon salt per cup of cold water) and soak 10 minutes, then rinse.
- Heat 1 tablespoon of avocado oil in a pan (just large enough to accommodate all of the goat cheese slices at once) over medium-low heat.
- Once oil is fully heated, remove goat cheese from fridge/freezer and transfer all the slices to the pan. Cook to a rich golden brown, taking care not to burn. Flip and repeat on other side until both sides are browned, then transfer to the assembled salads and serve immediately with your choice of dressing.
The easiest way to cut goat cheese is with a piece of plain, unwaxed floss. If you don’t have any, run a small, sharp knife under hot water and wipe just before each slice. Heating the knife helps it pass through the soft cheese.
Note: Total prep time does not include refrigeration.
Keywords: pecan crusted goat cheese, salad, goat cheese salad, pecans, grain-free, gluten-free, sugar-free