Crispy Baby Potatoes
- 2 pounds baby potatoes (Blushing Belle, Red, Boomer, Medley, etc.)
- 2 1/2 tbsp extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 1/2 tsp avocado oil
- 1/2 tsp herbes de Provence
- 1/4 tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp salt, divided
- 1/4 tsp ground black pepper
- Rinse the potatoes and add to a large pot. Cover with about two inches of water, add 1/4 teaspoon of the salt, and bring to a boil over high heat. Reduce to medium-high and continue boiling until the potatoes are barely fork tender (not fully cooked). Strain and let rest for a few minutes.
- While potatoes are boiling, preheat oven to 450 degrees F with rack at center position; generously grease a large rimmed baking sheet with the avocado oil (these are made directly on the pan – no foil, parchment, or Silpat). Combine the olive oil, remaining salt, and all spices in a small bowl and set aside.
- Place the drained potatoes on the prepared baking sheet and use the bottom of a jar or mug to smash each potato down enough to flatten without breaking it apart. Some types of potatoes crumble more than others, and we found the Blushing Belle and Red varieties to be sturdier with higher internal moisture while Yukon and Boomer varieties may get a bit crispier and are drier.
- Brush the tops of the pressed potatoes with half of the olive oil mixture and roast for 15 minutes. Carefully flip the roasted potatoes, brush with remaining mixture, and roast another 10 minutes.
- Sprinkle with additional salt and pepper, to taste (if needed). Plate and serve immediately.
Refrigerate leftovers in an airtight container up to 3 days. Gently reheat in a pan.
Keywords: SIDE DISHES, HOLIDAY MEALS, SNACKS, GAME DAY, WEEKNIGHT MEALS, POTATOES, SIDES, CRISPY POTATOES, SMASHED POTATOES, BABY POTATOES, VEGAN, VEGETARIAN, PLANT-BASED, PLANT-BASED, GRAIN-FREE, GLUTEN-FREE, PLANTBASED