We love gyros so much we created two healthy versions to enjoy at home. In our ongoing effort to eat more plants, we’ve come up with a meatless version: Vegan Gyros Meatballs. We even made a Vegan Greek Tzatziki Sauce (in place of our traditional recipe) to go along with them. Despite our natural skepticism, we must admit these are as good as the real deal, and since they can be prepped a day ahead of time, they’re perfect for a quick weeknight dinner.Print
Our epically awesome Vegan Gyros Meatballs are a healthy and delicious plant-based alternative and perfect for weeknight meals.
- 1 pound LightLife Plant-Based Ground
- 2 green onions, minced (whites and greens)
- 2 tbsp Anthony’s Blanched Almond Flour
- 2 tbsp golden flaxseed meal
- 3/4 tsp cumin
- 1/2 tsp dried thyme
- 1/2 tsp dried oregano
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp garlic powder
- 1/4 tsp dried rosemary
- 1/4 tsp dried marjoram
- 1/4 tsp ground coriander
- 1/8 tsp ground black pepper
- Combine all dry ingredients in a small bowl. Add LightLife Plant-Based Ground and the minced green onions to a large bowl.
- Sprinkle about a quarter of the seasoning mixture over the ground and use a silicone spatula to fold the “meat” over and incorporate the spices. Repeat folding and sprinkling until all the seasoning is gradually added. Once fully combined, pack into a glass airtight container leaving little or no head space or wrap tightly in plastic and refrigerate, preferably overnight, or for at least eight hours. This is critical.
- When ready to cook, set oven rack to top position, preheat oven to 425 degrees F, and line a large, rimmed baking sheet with Silpat mats or parchment paper (note: parchment will brown more – and more quickly – than Silpat).
- Use a small cookie scoop to divide the meatball mixture into 24 small meatballs. Work quickly to roll and place on the prepared pan.
- Place sheet on the top oven rack and set a timer for 15 minutes. Gently turn the meatballs over after 15 minutes and return to oven for another 10-15 minutes or when internal temperature reaches 165 degrees F. Check after 10 minutes and watch closely.
- Serve alone or on skewers with cucumber and tomatoes, vegan tzatziki sauce, etc.
Refrigerate leftovers in a glass airtight container up to 4 days.
Nutrition Estimate Per Serving (6 MEATBALLS) – Calories: 277, Fat: 19g, Saturated Fat: 5g, Polyunsaturated Fat: 5.3g, Monounsaturated Fat: 9.3g, Cholesterol: 0g, Sodium: 681mg, Potassium: 427mg, Carbohydrates: 7.8g total/5.7g net, Fiber: 2.1 Sugar: .2, Protein: 21.2, Vitamin A: 1.5%, Vitamin C: 2.4%, Calcium: 1.2%, Iron: 27% (based on 2,000 calorie diet).
Keywords: BEYOND MEATBALLS, PLANT-BASED, VEGAN MEATBALLS, HEALTHY DINNERS, VEGAN, WEEKNIGHT MEALS, SHEET PAN MEALS, VEGETARIAN, SOY-FREE, GLUTEN-FREE, PLANT-BASED MEATBALLS, MEATLESS