We’ve tried the no-soak Instant Pot recipes for chickpeas, but the fact remains soaking is the key to making the Perfect Instant Pot Chickpeas. That’s okay – it’s not really any extra work. Soaking ahead of time will give you perfectly tender and creamy chickpeas that aren’t hard and dry or a mushy overcooked mess.
Make sure your chickpeas are fresh. The bag that’s been sitting in the back of your pantry for a year probably isn’t a good idea. Stale chickpeas don’t cook properly and remain hard and crumbly.Print
Perfect Instant Pot Chickpeas
- 1 16-ounce bag dried chickpeas (make sure they’re fresh)
- 6 cups water, plus soaking water
- 2 bay leaves
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp onion powder
- 1/8 tsp ground white pepper
- Rinse the chickpeas in a colander under cold running water and remove any debris or bad peas. Place in a large bowl and cover with 4 cups of cold water. Cover the bowl with a clean towel and soak for 8-12 hours. The longer the soak, the creamer the chickpeas (but don’t go past 12 hours).
- After soaking, drain and rinse again, then add to the Instant Pot. Add the salt, spices, and 6 cups of room temperature water to the Instant Pot. Seal and set to Manual/High for 5 minutes (12-hour soak) or 6 minutes (8-hour soak). Make sure “Keep Warm” is turned OFF. Allow natural release for 20 minutes, then vent manually.
- Drain the chickpeas again and remove and discard the bay leaves. Use the cooked chickpeas in your favorite recipes. A can of chickpeas is equal to about 1 1/2 cups prepared chickpeas.
Refrigerate in a glass airtight container up to 5 days. To freeze, reserve liquid and freeze the chickpeas in the liquid in an airtight container up to 6 months. Defrost in refrigerator before heating.
If you plan to use the liquid to make aquafaba, omit salt and spices. Total time does not include soaking or pressurizing time.
Nutrition Estimate Per Serving (1 CUP, COOKED) – Calories: 252, Fat: 4g, Saturated Fat: .4g, Polyunsaturated Fat: 1.8g, Monounsaturated Fat: .9g, Cholesterol: 0mg, Sodium: 209.8g, Potassium: 478.7mg, Carbohydrates: 42g total/34g net, Fiber: 8g, Sugar: 7g, Protein: 13.7G, Vitamin A: .9%, Vitamin C: 4.3%, Calcium: 3%, Iron: 16% (based on 2,000 calorie diet).
Keywords: CHICKPEAS, INSTANT POT, GARBANZO BEANS, VEGAN, VEGETARIAN, PLANT-BASED, GLUTEN-FREE, GRAIN-FREE