Watermelon and Tajín: If you know, you know. With that inspiration in mind, give us 15 minutes and we’ll give you this show-stopping Watermelon and Cucumber Salad with Feta. It will knock those summer sandals right off your feet.Print
Watermelon and Cucumber Salad with Feta
Try this show-stopping Watermelon and Cucumber Salad with Feta at your next summer gathering…or keep it all for yourself (we won’t tell).
- Total Time: 15 minutes
- Yield: Serves 4
For the Salad
- 4 cups cubed watermelon (bite sized pieces)
- 1 large English cucumber
- 4 ounces Feta cheese (good quality, from a block), crumbled*
- 2 tbsp finely diced red onion
- 1 tbsp chiffonade cut fresh basil
- 1 tbsp chiffonade cut fresh mint
For the Dressing
- 3 tbsp fresh squeezed orange juice
- 3 tbsp extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 tbsp fresh squeezed lime juice
- 1 tbsp white wine vinegar
- 1 tsp Monk Fruit Simple Syrup (any neutral sweetener of choice can be used)
- 3/4 tsp combined ancho and guajillo chile powder**
- 1/8 tsp coarse ground black pepper
- 1/8 tsp kosher salt
- Combine all dressing ingredients in a small bowl or measuring cup and set aside until ready to serve the salad.
- Dice onion and set aside. Stack the basil and mint leaves, roll tightly, and chiffonade cut into very thin ribbons (about six medium sized leaves of each should yield a packed tablespoon once cut). Set aside. Crumble the feta and set aside.
- Chop watermelon flesh into bite sized cubes and add to a large bowl. Halve the cucumber lengthwise and scoop out the seeds, if desired. Quarter each cucumber half and chop into bite sized pieces, then add to the bowl with the watermelon.
- If serving all at once, add the onion, herbs, and dressing to the bowl and toss, then top with the feta and serve immediately.
- If making ahead (or if you know you will have leftovers), keep the feta, herbs, onion, dressing, and watermelon mixture separate until ready to use. Drain excess liquid from watermelon and cucumber, then combine everything immediately before serving.
Refrigerate leftovers in a glass airtight container up to four days.
*Use plant-based feta for vegan option.
**Both ancho (poblano) and guajillo (marisol) chile powders are smoky, earthy, and fruity. Guajillo is hotter than ancho, but milder than chipotle (jalapeño). Use a combination that matches your heat preference.
Nutrition Estimate Per Serving (1/4 RECIPE) – Calories: 222, Fat: 14g, Saturated Fat: 3.3, Polyunsaturated Fat: .8g, Monounsaturated Fat: 6.8g, Cholesterol: 20mg, Sodium: 304mg, Potassium: 217mg, Carbohydrates: 17.8g total/17g net, Fiber: .8g, Sugar: 10.7g, Protein: 7.3g, Vitamin A: 24%, Vitamin C: 36%, Calcium: 14.6%, Iron: 6% (based on 2,000 calorie diet, calculated using full fat feta cheese).
- Prep Time: 15
- Category: Salads, Party Food
- Diet: Gluten Free
Keywords: WATERMELON AND CUCUMBER SALAD WITH FETA, WATERMELON SALAD, WATERMELON AND FETA, TAJIN, SUMMER SALADS, VEGAN OPTION, SALAD, GLUTEN-FREE, GRAIN-FREE, PARTY FOOD, PLANT-BASED, VEGETARIAN, EASY SIDE DISHES