For the most part, we enjoy plant-based meals, but every once in a while, we get a craving for red meat. That’s when we reach for the mushrooms. Yes, mushrooms. They’re an outstanding protein source and with the right seasoning and preparation, take on a meaty quality. In this instance, they make our Vegan “Beef” and Broccoli taste just like the real deal. This recipe is also paleo-compliant, gluten and soy-free, packed with protein and vitamins A & C, and under 20 net carbs with cauliflower rice.Print
Our paleo-compliant Vegan “Beef” and Broccoli tastes just like the real deal.
For the Vegetables
- 16 ounces baby bella mushrooms, trimmed and uniformly sliced
- 4 firmly packed cups of fresh bite sized broccoli florets
- 4 large garlic cloves, minced
- 1 medium yellow or sweet onion sliced into half-moons, about 1/3” thick
- 1 large red bell pepper, deseeded and thinly sliced from top to bottom
- 1/2 cup unsalted vegetable broth
- 1 tbsp avocado oil
- Optional: 12-ounce bag steamed cauliflower rice for serving
For the Sauce
- Prep all vegetables.
- Measure all sauce ingredients and add to saucepan as instructed below.
For the Sauce
- Reserve two tablespoons of broth and the arrowroot flour separately and set aside.
- Combine all remaining sauce ingredients in a small saucepan over medium-low heat and bring to a simmer while the vegetables are cooking.
- While the vegetables are steaming, combine the reserved broth and arrowroot flour to form a slurry. Stir well to work out all lumps. Slowly add all the slurry to the saucepan, while whisking constantly. The sauce will thicken significantly – keep whisking – this only take s a few seconds. It will appear to be too thick but will thin out to the proper consistency when added to the vegetables.
- Use a silicone spatula to add the thickened sauce to the vegetables, scraping every drop out of the saucepan.
For the Vegetables
- Heat a large sauté pan over medium-high heat and add half of the avocado oil. Once hot, add the onions and toss to coat. Let the onions sear for one minute, flip and repeat, then transfer to a bowl and set aside.
- Add remaining oil and mushrooms to pan, toss to coat, and arrange in a single layer. Sear for about a minute on each side, then reduce heat to medium-low, add the broth and broccoli, cover, and steam for 3 minutes.
- Uncover and let the excess liquid evaporate for 1 minute. Add bell peppers and onions, and toss.
- Add thickened sauce, toss to coat, and cook 1-2 minutes to heat peppers and onions through. Remove from heat and serve immediately.
Refrigerate leftovers in a glass, airtight container up to four days.
Nutrition Estimate Per Serving (1/4 RECIPE) – Calories: 185.5, Fat: 7.2g, Saturated Fat: 3g, Polyunsaturated Fat: 1.7g, Monounsaturated Fat: 3.8g, Cholesterol: 0mg, Sodium: 563.6mg, Potassium: 656mg, Carbohydrates: 22.6g total/18g net, Fiber: 4.6g, Sugar: 9.4g, Protein: 14.2g, Vitamin A: 84%, Vitamin C: 221%, Calcium: 9.8%, Iron: 7% (based on 2,000 calorie diet).
Nutrition Estimate Per Serving (1/4 RECIPE PLUS CAULIFLOWER RICE) – Calories: 205.5, Fat: 7.2g, Saturated Fat: 3g, Polyunsaturated Fat: 1.7g, Monounsaturated Fat: 3.8g, Cholesterol: 0mg, Sodium: 633.6mg, Potassium: 776mg, Carbohydrates: 25.6g total/19g net, Fiber: 6.6g, Sugar: 10.4g, Protein: 15.2g, Vitamin A: 84%, Vitamin C: 221%, Calcium: 11.8%, Iron: 7.5% (based on 2,000 calorie diet).
Keywords: VEGAN BROCCOLI BEEF, VEGAN OYSTER SAUCE, MEATLESS, GLUTEN-FREE, VEGAN, GRAIN-FREE, PLANT-BASED, PALEO, VEGETARIAN, SOY-FREE, SUGAR-FREE, HIGH-PROTEIN, MUSHROOMS, BROCCOLI, STIR FRY, STIR-FRY, WEEKNIGHT MEALS, EASY RECIPES, #LAKANTOSWEETENED